Android 2.2 is now available for Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablet
Archos has just released a firmware update for Gen8 Devices with Android 2.2.1.
This will be faster and more responsive, but you’ll have to wait a bit longer for flash support since they need the flash plugin to be certified.
If you already installed Google MarketPlace on your Archos device, you might need to wait for a new gApps4Archos.apk file or follow the instructions here, install the new version for Android 2.2. The file name is now gApps4Archos2.apk.
Here are the features of this firmware update (2.0.54):
1. New Features of Android 2.2.1
- Higher performance: Just In Time compiler (JIT technology), makes applications run up to 5 times faster than previous 2.1 Eclair (firmware 1.0.84).
- Enhanced Microsoft® Exchange support: it is now possible to synchronise contacts and calendar events.
- Allow to install more 3rd party applications by installing them on the internal storage memory (for applications that support it).
- New widgets: home screen “tips widget” providing some helpful information.
- Easier access to the four side screens
2. Special ARCHOS Features
- Video: Movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
- Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager.
- External Bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported.
- Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using Bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection).
- OpenVPN is now supported.
- Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications.
- Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application.
- Faster USB write transfer.
3. Flash® 10.1 compatibility
- This firmware is compatible with Flash® 10.1 but does not include the Flash® plug-in.
- Distribution of the Flash® plug-in requires a certification by Adobe®.
- Flash® plug-in will be available after the certification process is completed.