Low Cost Development Board Samsung Origen based on Exynos 4210
Late May, Samsung and Linaro announced Samsung Origen, a low cost development board (199 USD) based on Samsung Exynos 4210, that will use Linaro software and related development tools. This development board is mainly targeted for the development of products such as tablets, smartbooks, IVI, smartphone and other consumer products.
Here are the technical details of the board:
- Cortex-A9 1.0 GHz Dual Core & NEON with leading GHz ARM Technology
- Samsung Exynos 4210 Advanced Low Power 45nm Application Processor
- Lower-BOM cost access to Exynos4210 processor with 1GB DDR3 RAM
- Multimedia Core with H/W Multi Format Codec provides 1080p@30fps
- HDMI, LCD / Touch screen support, WLAN/Bluetooth and camera.
- Extreme 3D Graphics Performance accelerated by Mali400 MP4.
- Wider Memory Bandwidth for Smartphone and Tablet Scenario.
- Richer Peripherals & High Speed Interface for system: 8ch I2C, HDMI, SATA, PCI Express, USB 2.0 HOST/OTG, 2x SD/MMC Card Slot
- Debugging Interfaces: JTAG, Serial/RS-232 port
- Dimensions: 139mm (W) x 119mm (H)
The board can be purchased at http://www.origenboard.org, however all available package are now sold out and the next order will be available in about 2 months.
Samsung Origen board will support Linux 2.6 (then Linux 3.0), Android and Ubuntu. The software and tools will be available at http://www.linaro.org/downloads/. The is currently a kernel (Landing Team Download for Samsung) released on July 2011, but it still have the following know issues:
- Softreboot does not reboot the system
- Hwpack boots on Origen but LCD does not work
- There is no USB host.
Some of those issues may have been fixed in the daily build (USB Host has been fixed at Linaro Connect Q3.11), here are the instructions to build an installable image for the Origen board.
Origan Board website also contains the specifications, schematics and how-Tos for the development board as well as source code available via git:
- git clone http://git.insignal.co.kr/android-insignal-dev.git – Android Platform for Insignal Developers
- git clone http://git.insignal.co.kr/linux-2.6-insignal-dev.git – Linux kernel for Insignal Boards
- git clone http://git.insignal.co.kr/u-boot-insignal-dev.git – Universial Boot Loader for Insignal/Android/Linux
I’m not yet sure how this code differs from the code provided by Linaro for the platform.
A forum is also available, but it is not currently very active.