AMD G-Series Vehicle Computer: Portwell PCS8277
Portwell announced a vehicle PC (The PCS-8277) that features an AMD G-Series processor (T56N), 2 bays for SATA devices, 2 gigabit Ethernet ports, 2 USB port, support for wireless networking (3G, Wifi etc..) and a GPS receiver. This type of device is well suited for applications such as digital signage in public transport (subway, buses).
PCS-8277 In-Vehicle PC has the following system and I/O specifications:
- CPU: AMD G-T56N Dual Core 1.6GHz
- System Memory: 2 x DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM up to 8GB
- Chipset: AMD A55E Controller Hub
- lrDA: IrDA (SIR, Consumer IR) with TTL level
- Audio: Realtek ALC662 HD Codec onboard
- Expansion: 2 x 2.5” drive bay for SATA Type Hard Disk Drive / SSD
- SIM Card Socket: 1 x SIM Card socket supported onboard with eject
- MIO: 3 x RS-232 (2 with RS-422/485)
- DIO: Port 4 in and 2 out with Relay 12V / 80mA
- USB: 4 x USB 2.0 Ports on Front I/O
and the following mechanical characteristics:
- Construction: Aluminum alloy
- Mounting: Supports both of wall-mount
- Weight: 1.5 kg (bare-bone)
- Dimensions: 250 x 150 x 55 mm
- MTBF: 109,600 hours at 30°C
- Operating Temperature: -30°C to +60°C
This computer provides wireless communication support for 3.5G, WLAN, GPS, GSM/GPRS and Bluetooth. It can take 9V – 32V DC power inputs, features “Smarter Vehicle Power Ignition for Variety Vehicle” and it can also optionally support one CAN Bus 2.0B.
The device is said to support Coreboot technology that allows it to boot within 5 seconds (Probably power on to OS start time). No information is given on the operating systems currently supported, but Coreboot can boot Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeDOS, Windows and OpenSolaris so it would probably be up to system integrators to select the OS that suits their needs.