Tizen Releases Source Code and SDK Previews
Tizen, a new Linux based HTML5 operating systems aimed at mobile and consumer devices, was announced at the end of September 2011 without much detail.
Today, Tizen has posted a set of pre-release tools, source code and related documentation to give application developers an early look at Tizen. Tizen Alpha (pre-1.0) is a very early preview and is not yet designed for use to create production applications.
They specifically released the following items:
- Tizen source code preview – Operating system source code, including middleware, basic UI, and menu interface
- Tizen SDK preview – SDK & APIs: Web IDE, Emulator, Web API documentation, and Toolchain
If you plan to try Tizen SDK, you development machines should match or exceed the following requirements:
- Ubuntu 10.04/10.10/11.04 32-bit (Windows and Mac version will be available later)
- At least dual-core 2 GHz CPU (recommend VTx supported by CPU)
- At least 2 GB of RAM memory
- At least 3 GB of free disk space
- At least 1280×1024 screen resolution
The documentation is divided into 2 main sections:
- Getting Started with Tizen:
- Platform Overview
- Development Tools
- Getting Started
- Tizen Web API Reference:
- Tizen Web API
- WAC 2.0
- W3C Widget Specifications
If you are a developers and reviewed the source code and/or SDK, and have some feedback, you can contact them via:
- General mailing list for general questions about the project, the community, or events.
- Tizen application developer mailing list for questions or feedback about development for applications that will run on top of Tizen using the Tizen SDK / APIs.
- Tizen product developer mailing list for questions or feedback about development for the operating system distribution.
- IRC channel for general discussions about Tizen.