20 Times More Graphics Performance with Imagination G6200 and G6400 PowerVR Series 6 GPU
Imagination Technologies announced the first two IP cores, namely PowerVR G6200 and G6400 GPU IP cores, part of PowerVR Series6 GPU cores.
PowerVR Series6 relies on PowerVR Rogue architecture based on a scalable number of compute clusters and designed to target the requirements of new high-end graphics applications for smartphones, tablets, PC, console, automotive, DTV and more. The G6200 and G6400 have 2 and 4 compute clusters respectively.
The company claims that PowerVR Series6 GPUs can deliver 20x or more of the performance of current generation GPU cores targeting comparable markets thanks to the new Rogue architecture that is around 5x more efficient than previous generations. The PowerVR Series6 GPU cores offer computing performance exceeding 100GFLOPS (gigaFLOPS) and reaching the TFLOPS (teraFLOPS) range.
The PowerVR Series6 family introduces new technologies and features such as:
- An advanced scalable compute cluster architecture.
- High efficiency compression technology including lossless image and parameter compression as well as PVRTC texture compression.
- An enhanced scheduling architecture
- Dedicated housekeeping processors
- Next generation Tile Based Deferred Rendering architecture.
Imagination Technology expects the PowerVR Series6 GPU to support the following graphics API:
- OpenGL ES ‘Halti’ (Specification is still a draft)
- OpenGL 3.x/4.x
- OpenCL 1.x
- DirectX10 with some GPU supporting DirectX11.1
PowerVR Series6 GPUs are said to be fully compatible with Series5 and Series5XT PowerVR SGX GPUs.
The company says that PowerVR Series6 GPU cores are available for licensing now and they have already secured 8 licensees for the PowerVR Series6 including ST-Ericsson (Nova A9600), Texas Instruments, Renesas Electronics and MediaTek.