Raspberry Pi Linux Distribution: Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 14
Several operating systems will be able to run on the Raspberry Pi boards. However, the Raspberry Foundation had announced that they were working with Red Hat to deliver a Fedora release optimized for the board and Broadcom BCM2835 processor (
ARMv6 + hard-float support).
It appears the full name of this distribution is “Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 14” most probably based on Fedora 14 (as the name implies), and not the latest Fedora 16 release.
This Linux distribution will officially be launched on the 22nd of February 2011 at the Seneca Centre for the Development of Open Technology in Toronto, Canada during a 2-hour event (15:00-17:00) featuring:
- A hands-on opportunity to use a Raspberry Pi
- Live demonstrations of the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix software
- Examples of the educational uses of the Raspberry Pi
- The 60-computer build farm used to build the Fedora ARM software on which the remix is based
- Information about the Fedora ARM project
There are also talks there will be Raspberry Pies (the ones you can eat) during the event.
Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 14 has not been officially launched so neither the source code or binary images are available yet. It will most probably use Linux kernel 3.1.9 with patches for the Raspberry Pi board released at the end of January.