Ziilabs Unveils HanZpad Android 4.0 Tablet Reference Design
ZiiLABS, a subsidiary of Creative Technology, has announced the HanZpad platform, a tablet reference design based on ZiiLABS ZMS-40 StemCell Media Processor (4 ARM Cortex A9 cores and 96 GPU cores) optimized for Android 4.x (ICS) and a Chinese operating system.
The HanZpad platform is built around Ziilabs ZMS-40 processors with four 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A9 CPUs and 96-core for the GPU. The ZMS-40 SoC supports H.264 HP decoding of up to 3840×1080 for true 1080p 3D stereo, and 2560×1600 (WQXGA) display resolution support. The firmware can also be upgraded to support for High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) aka H.265 which can increase data compression ratio by up to 2 times compared to H.264.
Beyond the ZMS-40 processor, the key features of the tablet are as follows:
- 10.1-inch, 1,280 x 800-pixels IPS panel
- 1GB memory
- micro SDHC slot (up to 64GB)
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- 22-hour battery life (~1W power consumption)
- 260 x 171.4 x 7.95mm, 480g
Software-wise, the ZMS-40 supports ZiiLABS’ enhanced Android 4.0 implementation that complements the standard Android offering with a suite of software taking advantage of the ZMS processor and includes support for:
- ZiiPhoto for intelligent photo browsing, 3D slide show and special photo effects,
- ZiiCamera for real-time preview and capturing of photos with 3D effects; live ultra high resolution 40 megapixel Panoramic photo capture in one sweep; and high dynamic range images,
- ZiiVideo for advanced video playback including 1080p WebM (VP8) support and trick modes (such as reverse play, frame-by-frame advance and reverse, multi-speed play and more), and skip to any part of a movie by browsing a timeline with thumbnails,
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi’s Crystalizer and CMSS-3D audio effects.
- Bluetooth/WiFi high definition audio output.
ZiiLABS’ enhanced Android provides support for 2 independent displays, the tablet screen and an HDMI TV, so that you can watch movies (playback by the tablet) on the TV while browsing the web on the tablet itself.
Ziilabs also developed the HanZpad Chinese Operating System which support features specific to the Chinese market such as handwritten Chinese character input capability as well a education application suites such as eSchoolBag (电子书包).
This platform targets the Chinese market, especially the education market as the Chinese government pushes for digital technology in the classroom. No availability and pricing information has been provided by the companies.