Freescale Announces Kinetis KW20 Cortex M4 MCU with Built-in Zigbee Transceiver
Freescale announced the addition of the Kinetis KW20 to its Kinetis microcontroller portfolio. The Kinetis KW20 is based on ARMCortex-M4 core and MC13242 RF transceiver to deliver a single chip Zigbee solution for the Internet of Things and power applications such as smart energy, smart metering and building control.
The company explains that their new wireless MCU family aims to “address the increased processing and memory requirements associated with future ZigBee Smart Energy 2.0 and Internet Protocol specifications”. The KW20 supports dual personal area network (PAN) to enable a single device to communicate wirelessly on two ZigBee networks. This feature eliminates the need for multiple radios required to connect different home automation and smart energy networks.
Kinetis KW20 wireless MCU features:
- ARM Cortex-M4 processor core
- Up to 512 KB of flash memory and 64 KB of RAM
- Cryptology accelerator and sophisticated tamper detect
- Integrated IEEE 802.15.4-compliant radio (MC13242 RF transceiver)
- Low power consumption
Freescale will provide several tools for software development on the platform including:
- BeeKit wireless connectivity toolkit
- Eclipse-based CodeWarrior IDE
- Freescale MQX software solutions and associated middleware,
- Tower System modular development platform for rapid prototyping.
- Third-party tools such as IAR Systems Embedded Workbench IDE.
Alpha samples of the Kinetis KW20 wireless MCUs (KW21D256V, KW21D512V and KW22D512V) and the MC13242 RF transceiver will be available in Q3 2012, together with software and ZigBee protocol stacks
Freescale will showcase the KW20 wireless MCU family at the Freescale Technology Forum, on June 18-21 in San Antonio, Texas, and at Smart Grid Paris, on June 21-22.
For more information, you can visit www.freescale.com/KW20. If you are interested in this type of applications, you can also read Freescale Home Energy Gateway Reference Platform post for further details on system design and software.