Sony NSZ-GS7, The 1st Google TV 2.0 Device is Now Available in the US and UK
Google announced that the 1st Google TV 2.0 device is now available for pre-order in the US and in UK for $199.99. Sony NSZ-GS7 is a set-top box based on Marvell GTV reference design, which comes with a dual-sided “magic” Bluetooth remote (NSG-MR5U). The device was first seen at CES 2012.
Here are the key specifications of this media player:
- SoC – Marvell Armada 1500 dual core ARM processor @ 1.2 GHz with Vivante GC1000 GPU
- Storage – 8GB Nand Flash
- Built-in Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
- 100Mbit Ethernet
- Built-in Bluetooth
- Video Output – HDMI
- Audio Output – Optical out. HDMI supports Dolby and LPCM audio output
- Video codecs – H264-AVC, MPEG4-SP/-AAC/-HE, MPEG-1/2, MPEG4, H.263, WMV, Vorbis, Xvid…
- Video containers – 3gp/3g2/3gp9, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MPEG TS/PS, mp4/m4a, MVC, ogg, wmv/asf…
- Picture formats - bmp, gif, jpeg, mpo and png
- Audio formats - AAC, AC3, LPCM/WAV, MDI, MP3 and WMA
- USB – 2 x USB 2.0 Host ports
- Power Consumption – 21W in operation (which seems a lot), and less than 0.5W in standby mode
- Dimension (W x H x D): 204 x 35 x 130mm
The device can also support 3D videos and pictures (MPO). External storage is supported via USB (Flash memory / HDD), but only supports FAT32 and NTFS file systems, and NTFS is read-only. I’m not really sure why they introduced this limitation. They must have heard about ntfs-3g, haven’t they ?
But the most interesting part of this device is that is runs the latest version of Google TV and comes pre-loaded with an optimized Youtube application, Google Chrome for Android and Google Play.
Although the device is only available for pre-order in the US and UK for now, Sony plans to bring their GTV player to Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Mexico and Netherlands in 2012.