Home > Android, Freescale i.MX, Hardware, Rockchip RK30xx > Rockchip RK3066 UG802 mini PC is Now Available for Just $46.50

Rockchip RK3066 UG802 mini PC is Now Available for Just $46.50

Earlier today, a reader left a comment about a mini PC based on RK2908 sold for $40 including shipping on Ebay. No bad! But since I hadn’t checked mini PCs on Aliexpress for a few months, I decided to have a look for cheap devices. The cheapest sold by a company with decent feedback is the IP872 ($34 including shipping), but it’s based on an ARM11 chip (Infotmic IMAPX 200) and runs Android 2.3, so I don’t find it that interesting. There are also some AllWinner A10 mini PCs that cost just above $40 including shipping, but then I found one company selling UG802 for $46.50 including shipping via China Post. It’s quite shocking that the price halved within 3 months, and this makes single core mini PC that less attractive, unless you want to run Linux (Ubuntu, Debian…) which is not yet supported by RK3066.

Rockchip RK3066 mini PCThe device sold by Shenzhen Realtime M&c appears to be the standard UG802 HDMI TV Stick:

• Operation System – Google Android 4.0.4 ICS
  • SoC – Dual ARM Cortex-A9 process.UP to 1.6GHZ,Mali-400MP4 Quad-core GPU
  • System Memory – 1GB DDR3 RAM
  • Storage – 4GB NAND Flash , micro SD card slot (up to 32GB)
  • Networking – WiFi 802.11b/g/n 10/100Mbps with internal Antenna
  • USB – 1 x USB 2.0 Host, 1 X micro USB Host
  • Video Codecs – Mpeg1/2/4, H.264, VC-1, Divx, Xvid, RM8/9/10, VP6
  • Video Containers – MKV, TS, TP, M2TS, RM/RMVB, BD-ISO, AVI, MPG, VOB, DAT, ASF, TRP, FLV etc
  • Audio Codecs – DTS,AC3, LPCM, FLAC, HE-AAC
  • Audio Containers – MP3, OGG, WMA, WMAPRO
  • Power – 90-230V,50/60Hz input, max. power: 30W, Output: 5V/2A
  • Dimensions – 10.1X3.8×1.3cm
  • Weight – 38g

The device ships with a USB cable and a user manual in English, but no power supply.

At this price, the only device that may dethrone UG802 could be the Hiapad Hi802 (aka GK802) with Freescale Quad Core i.MX6Q and both Android JB and Linux support, although it will probably cost at least twice as much once it becomes available later this month.

1. nghia
    November 3rd, 2012 at 13:55 | #1

Without rockchip support, would it ever be possible to get linux ubuntu on rockchip based stick?
    Are we saying that Rockchip does not comply with GPL by not releasing the source code?
    In all cases we should still be able to have linux chrooted next to Android, right? ( I understand rk3066 can be rooted )

2. November 3rd, 2012 at 14:04 | #2

@nghia
    Some source code has been released by one tablet manufacturer, so we will see how it goes.

About the license, I understand it works that way:
    Rockchip releases a SDK with source code to OEM/ODM under NDA.
    Then those either breach the NDA or the GPL once they start to sell products to end users. I guess those that do eventually release GPL source code do that with Rockchip agreement. That’s speculation from my side, maybe other people know better.

3. November 3rd, 2012 at 14:21 | #3

It says “Rockchip RK2908, 1.2GHz Cortex-A8 CPU” not RK3066.

4. November 3rd, 2012 at 14:32 | #4

@zoobab
    The link to ebay, yes, but I talk about RK3066 mini PC sold in Aliexpress in the rest of the post :-)

5. onebir
    November 3rd, 2012 at 18:46 | #5

@nghia
    A couple of people are working on linux for RK3066, see (& AndrewDB’s Oct 28 comment on the ArmTvTech forum). :)

Am I right in thinking nothing (or very little) will need to be done to get Linux working on a multicore version of the A10?

6. onebir
  7. csgabe
    November 3rd, 2012 at 21:30 | #7

Here is an another RK3066 device, this one has 3.5mm audio jack, Physical copy button, System software shutdown :

8. nghia
    November 4th, 2012 at 01:38 | #8

@JL who is this tablet manufacturer and the reference of the tablet? Any link?

9. Mark
  10. November 4th, 2012 at 08:44 | #10

@nghia
    The Tablet is bq Edison. I’ve written a post about that today, see “RK3066 Linux Kernel Source Code” section in http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/11/04/rockchip-rk3066-rk30xx-processor-documentation-source-code-and-tools/

11. Slowstream
    November 6th, 2012 at 05:25 | #11

Hi CNX,

All those tv sticks do not suit me as I have a projector so would have to extract sound from HDMI which is too much of an hassle.

Considering that, I think the MK 805 (which is about 50$ shipping incl.) is a lot more convenient for me because it has analog AV ouptut.
    But I still wonder:

#1
    Would it be easy to install Linux on it and roll its media player on it considering it’s Allwinner (Boxchip) A10 1.5GHZ (Cortex A8)

#2
    If yes, how will be the HD streaming according to you and the strength of the processor?

Thx for your input :-)

12. November 6th, 2012 at 10:48 | #12

@Slowstream
    #1 The processor is Allwinner A10, then yes you could install Linux.

#2 For HD streaming, the best is to use Ethernet, but since this box has an external Wi-Fi antenna, it should be OK, as long as you don’t start streaming 40 Mbps videos. The processor is not usually an issue with streaming, especially when it supports HW video decoding.

13. Slowstream
    November 6th, 2012 at 22:32 | #13

OK Thx. And since I have bought a cx01 stick for my friend, I would to know how both will
    will compare? I know that CX01 we don’t have HW accelaration, so will this make a good difference,
    cause right now some flah video stream with cx01 has serious problem.

It is my last answer.

Thanks again cnx…

14. November 7th, 2012 at 09:51 | #14

@Slowstream
    CX-01 does have video hardware acceleration, but Wi-Fi performance is an issue. Somebody told me he solved poor video playback by using Diceplayer.

RK3066 is a much faster processor then CX-01 (Dual core Cortex A9 up to 1.5 GHz vs single core Cortex A5 up to 833 Mhz), so UG802 should have better performance than CX-01. Now the only things going for CX-01 are the smaller form factor and theoretically lower power consumption.

15. AndrewDB
    November 12th, 2012 at 21:54 | #15

“unless you want to run Linux (Ubuntu, Debian…) which is not yet supported by RK3066″

That is not quite correct anymore:

16. November 12th, 2012 at 21:58 | #16

@AndrewDB
    That’s great news! Good job!

Hey, you can’t do that: “I’ll be on vacation this week until next Monday Nov 19, so no more updates this week! ” :p

17. tatubias
    November 14th, 2012 at 03:42 | #17

he want to kill us with the vacation comment. how can be so mean lolololololol

18. RG
    November 22nd, 2012 at 23:02 | #18

Hey, Any updates , bought a RK3066 , waiting to play in Linux

19. onebir
    January 7th, 2013 at 17:21 | #19
  20. gmtii
    January 7th, 2013 at 17:43 | #20

Beware! Ordered on 11/3/2012 and nothing received yet… Did anyone receive it?

21. giancarlocp
    April 6th, 2013 at 05:20 | #21

Hello, do UG802 have UART or I2C port like HI-802?
    My regards.

22. April 6th, 2013 at 11:05 | #22

@giancarlocp
    I’m not sure. But if UG802 board board is similar to MK808, then yes: http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/01/30/how-to-access-the-serial-console-in-mk808-mini-pc/

1. November 12th, 2012 at 22:21 | #1