Home > Android, Hardware, Rockchip RK30xx > S21H Android 4.1.2 HDMI TV Dongle Comes with 2GB RAM

S21H Android 4.1.2 HDMI TV Dongle Comes with 2GB RAM

December 28th, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

Following the comments I’ve read, many ask for more RAM in their mini PCs, and one even tried to make his own with 2 GB RAM. So I’m glad to say that a Rockchip RK3066 based mini PC is now available with 2GB RAM, and is called S21H.

S21H HDMI TV Dongle

The rest of the specs are pretty standard and similar to MK809 II / MK802 IIIs:

• SoC – Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex-A9
  • System Memory – 2GB DDR3
  • Storage – 8GB Nand Flash, microSD slot (up to 16GB???)
  • Connectivity:
    • WiFi – 802.11b/g/n
    • Built-in Bluetooth
  • Video Output – HDMI
  • Video Codec – M-JPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, VC-1, DivX, Xvid, RealVideo, VP6, Sorenson Spark support
  • USB – 1x USB 2.0 Host, 1x microUSB OTG port.
  • Power Supply – 5V/2A

S21H comes with an HDMI cable, a USB cable, a power adapter, and a (probably useless) user manual.

I’ve found the device on Aliexpress for $70.10 (You can get $5 discount with “mainagame5″ coupon), and aHappydeal for $66 where you may get 8% discount with “love2012″ coupon.

1. pepe
    December 28th, 2012 at 21:28 | #1

Excellent, now quadcore and 100% linux compatibility ;)

2. onebir
    December 28th, 2012 at 21:38 | #2

The same store also has some similar models called S18C – it looks like the ‘set top box’ style one has 2gb RAM, two full size USB ports & ethernet:
    There are some inconsistent descriptions there (eg how much RAM does the stick style S18C have?) so probably best to double check…

3. pepe
    December 28th, 2012 at 21:41 | #3

At the end i had bought a nexus 7 as tablet, but i am still waiting for a mini pc melee A1000 style that change my computer for a linux quadcore with at least 2Gb of RAM and sata drive to put 1 ssd.

Please that anybody hear me. I am the only one that want 1 Arm pc?

4. doc. Bormental
    December 28th, 2012 at 21:47 | #4

it have FAKE JB(4.1.*) as have ALL Rockchip based product (kernel 3.0.* from ICS instead 3.1.* -> no Butter & so on)

5. NineJa
    December 28th, 2012 at 22:03 | #5

WTh, cool. Now just something box style with composite output and a good rom and no overheating. RPi looks so out of date in terms of spec but still so ahead in terms of longevity because of the community support.

6. Orlean
    December 28th, 2012 at 22:11 | #6

I wonder how it works with XBMC on android.

7. December 28th, 2012 at 22:25 | #7

@pepe
    The ARMBRIX board is dual core but Cortex A15, so it should faster to the performance of a quad core A9, except when multiple cores can effectively be used. It also comes with 2GB RAM and a SATA port. If you need a case that’s a problem though.

@Orlean
    For XBMC it should be the same as other RK3066 devices.

8. Dmity
    December 28th, 2012 at 23:04 | #8

pepe :
    linux quadcore with at least 2Gb of RAM and sata drive to put 1 ssd.
    Please that anybody hear me. I am the only one that want 1 Arm pc?

Sounds like ARMBRIX Zero / ArndaleBoard. Except dual core Exynos 5 (A15 at 1.7GHz) is faster than quad core Tegra 3 (A9 at 1.4 GHz): http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=samsung_exynos5_dual&num=3
    While Samsung Chromebook XE303C12 could also be used with external HDMI display, keybord, mice, USB to Ethernet adapter, ..

9. onebir
    December 29th, 2012 at 02:19 | #9

@NineJa
    See the box-style S18C mentioned above. (No composite though…)

10. December 29th, 2012 at 10:00 | #10

@doc. Bormental
    Jelly Bean is running on Linux kernel 3.0.31, at least it was the case at the time of the first release in June/July.

11. December 29th, 2012 at 16:52 | #11

I wonder if this uses the Mediatek wifi or the RK903…. I’m not a big fan of either of those chipsets right now.
    The Mediatek has no leaked source code yet, and the RK903 has a max speed of 65mbps.
    The S21H looks very similar to the iMito MX1 with the Mediatek wifi.
    As you probably know, the iMito MX1 is based on the original UG802.
    That means no reset button, and 1.2GHz maximum speed(no heatsink!)

Now that at least one quad core stick is out it should only be a matter of time before we see more.
    I’m hoping for an A15 based stick with 2GB of ram by summer.

12. NineJa
    December 29th, 2012 at 21:30 | #12

@onebir
    Hey, thanks. Didn’t catch that stb version earlier. Yeah, no av output is a prob for me since I only have an old CRT tv.
    How is this proc in terms of heat and not hanging? Will the double ram improve performance substantially over current 1gb models with the same perf?
    The stick version design is pretty nice, probably the nicest I’ve seen coming from a china odm

13. onebir
    December 30th, 2012 at 00:53 | #13

@NineJa
    Good to see someone else who isn’t obsessed with having the latest TV :) (I didn’t know what HDMI was until a few months ago! :p)

Unfortunately, I don’t think (?) any of the Android dongles have composite output. Unless your tv happens to have DVI you’re stuck with a $30-40 HDMI-> composite converter. A small flatscreen TV might only be twice the price of one of those (esp secondhand?)

I’m also curious to know if 2gb ram gives much performance boost. Android apps I’ve used don’t seem to use so much memory, so perhaps not so important unless you like to keep a lot of apps open, or plan to use this with Linux?

14. December 30th, 2012 at 09:14 | #14

@deadhp1
    Is the 65 Mbps limit really an issue on those sticks?
    The best performance I’ve ever had was 15~20 Mbps, about 4 meters from the router.

15. Gabe
    December 30th, 2012 at 17:21 | #15
  16. eebrah
    December 30th, 2012 at 17:41 | #16

Recently came across this http://www.pandawill.com/t004-mini-android-pc-android-tv-box-android-40-a13-4gb-hdmi-tf-card-p70777.html on pandawill.

It claims to be an Allwinner A13 based “TV dongle” with *1GB* RAM, *1080p @60Hz HDMI* output.

As far as I can tell, the Allwinner A13 cannot support > 512MB RAM, neither does it have HDMI out nor can it do over 800×600 resolution.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than me in this matters help me tell if they are for real?

17. eebrah
    December 30th, 2012 at 17:52 | #17
  18. DeepSpace
    December 30th, 2012 at 18:24 | #18

65 Mbps raw wifi speed equals to about 3 MB/s transfer speeds and that isn’t enough for HD video streaming.
    Using 150mbps raw wifi speed isn’t yet enough for highest bitrate HD video streaming.

Definitively, a 300mbps wifi is needed and:
    a. No neighbours in the 2.4Ghz wifi range so you can use a 40Mhz channel (the 2.4Ghz band is 70Mhz wide and very populated)
    b. A 5Ghz wifi router and dongle

19. December 30th, 2012 at 21:50 | #19

@DeepSpace
    I understand this (although I haven’t really seen videos with bitrate greater than 40 Mbps), but the problem is that even if you use a 802.11n 150/300Mbps Wi-Fi chipset in one of those sticks, you’ll still get up to 20 Mbps bitrate. The only way to play high bitrate videos smoothly is via an Ethernet interface.

20. December 30th, 2012 at 22:23 | #20

@eebrah
    Yep, I doubt it can be A13 (no HDMI), but maybe it’s based on A10s.

21. onebir
    December 31st, 2012 at 01:54 | #21

@Gabe
    @eebrah
    I didn’t know about those. I’d assumed the SOCs would need extra circuitry to output composite video, but apparently not (much?). NineJa’s wish may be fulfilled :)

22. NineJa
    December 31st, 2012 at 16:37 | #22

@onebir
    As long as we are talking about wishes ;)
    Quad Core – 2GB – made by someone reputable like Genia – dual boot (linux/android) AND A/V out. Yay.

But yeah, seriously, there seem to be some boxes available. I was thinking of the GeniaTech ATV1600 (MyGica/EnjoyTV) but just as I was about to reach a decision these dudes went and came out with a 2GB soc.

The $89 Hardkernal ODroid U2 looks mighty fine too, until I start adding cost of adaptor cables wifi etc (and it doesnt have AV or a full case). I wish some Chinese manu would select that chipset and ram combo for their device

23. onebir
    December 31st, 2012 at 19:26 | #23

@NineJa
    I think the next-gen cubieboard will go straight to the quad-core A31. So (if I understand this correctly) that could it with just the addition of a resistor:
    (Someone would have to tell me exactly what to do with the resistor though :) )

24. Gabe
    January 7th, 2013 at 01:23 | #24
  25. jafa
    January 24th, 2013 at 16:05 | #25

it’s a fake – this device has 2G of ROM, 1G of RAM, and 4G of nand… so disappointing!!!!

26. jafa
    January 24th, 2013 at 17:04 | #26

it’s even worst: I just checked with android system info app:
    CPU is arm v7 not v9 …

27. January 24th, 2013 at 17:57 | #27

@jafa
    ARM Cortex A5, A8, A9 and A15 are all using ARMv7 architecture so that part is fine.
    There is no actual “ROM” in today’s system, what you may have is a 4GB NAND flash with 2 GB reserved for the system, 2GB for storage, which is still not nice since the spec says 8 GB.
    For the RAM, you won’t get a full 2GB since part of it is reserved for the GPU, so tools such as Antutu/Quadrant may just show 1.xx GB of RAM. If you only get 700 to 800 MB RAM for Linux, then you’ve only got 1GB in your device.

28. fpippo
    February 17th, 2013 at 02:55 | #28

hi
    i have got one s21h. It works fine, not so strong wifi , but it works.

I can see mkv full hd video streams from my nas all by wifiN from nas attached to wifi router to s21h in wifiN .

It is as Jafa said:

cnxsoft :
    @jafa

29. Chris
    May 21st, 2013 at 10:07 | #29

I cant seem to find any support for the s1h is stuck on the bootscreen and i need the firmware please help@fpippo

1. December 29th, 2012 at 02:40 | #1