PHYTEC has launched the Open Board-AM335x development kit in order to support Linux and Android development on Texas Instruments AM335x Sitara ARM Processors in India. The Open Board-AM335x is comprised of a baseboard and phyCORE-AM335x SoM, and comes with 512 MB DDR3 SDRAM, 512 MB NAND Flash, and optionally, 8 MB SPI Flash. The baseboard is open source hardware as schematics and Gerber/BOM are freely available.
Here are the key features of Phytec Open Board-AM335x:
- SoM – PhyCore-AM335x with ARM Cortex-A8 processors @ 720 MHz (AM3352, AM3354, AM3356, AM3357, AM3358 and AM3359)
- System Memory – 512 MB DDR3 RAM
- Storage – 512 MB NAND + SD Card slot + 8 MB SPI NOR Flash (Optional) + 32 KB EEPROM (Optional)
- Serial – 1x UART (RS232) + 4x UART (TTL)
- USB – 1x USB Host + 1x USB OTG
- Connectivity – 1x 10/100/1G Ethernet
- Audio - WM8974 Codec
- Display Interfaces – 24 bpp TTL / LVDS / VGA + Touchscreen I/F
- Misc – 4 User Leds and 4 User Buttons.
- 8x ADC
- 2xSPI, 2x I2C, 8x GPIO
- 2x CAN
The company provides support for Linux 3.2.0, Android ICS, and Windows Embedded Compact 7. Source and documentation will be available on their FTP server (Linux is already there, but not Android & WEC7). As I mentioned previously schematics (PDF) and gerber files (not yet available?) will be provided, and software and hardware reference manuals can already be downloaded. The source is said to be software compatible with the Beaglebone, and a Wiki and Forums will be setup for customer support.
Phytec also offers optional expansion boards and accessories:
- Additional Accessories – Cables: Serial, USB , Lan, and Power Adapter: +5Volts
- RGB Lcd Adapter + LCD
- VGA Lcd Adapter
- WiFi/BT Module
- TTL to RS232 breakout board
- CAN Transreceiver breakout
The board will cost Rs 4800 ($88.74 US) for evaluation only, and come with a software DVD as well as a quick reference manual.
For more information and/or to buy one of those boards, visit Phytec India. There’s no mention of worldwide availability, and it’s quite possible the board is only available in India at this time.