CoolShip is a $89 Rockchip RK3066 Android Keyboard Desktop Computer
If you’re nostalgic and miss your Commodore C64, FocusWill Coolship could be right for you. It’s a keyboard desktop computer running Android 4.0 ICS (or a customized of Android version called CoolShip OS) powered by Rockchip RK3066 SoC with 1GB RAM, 4 to 8 NAND Flash, VGA and HDMI outputs and more.
Here are the specifications of this device:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3066 Dual Cortex A9 @ 1.5Ghz + Mali-400MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3 RAM
- Storage – 4 to 8 GB NAND Flash + SD Card slot
- 10/100Mbps Ethernet (via USB to Ethernet chip)
- Keyboard – 104 Standard QWERTY keyboard with number keys + Touchpad
- Video Outputs – VGA + HDMI with dual display support.
- Video Codecs – MPEG-1/2/4, H.264, H.263, RMVB, WMV, VC-1, AVS, MVC, RV8/RV9/RV10, VP6/VP8
- Audio I/O – Stereo Speakers (2×1Ω;0.7W), 1x MIC and 1x Earphone jack
- USB – 2x USB2.0
- Power Supply – Input: AC 100~240V/50~60Hz, Output: DC 5V 2A
- Battery – Build in 300mAh Li-battery to protect the android OS in case of power failure or outage
- Dimensions – 395 x 215 x 34 mm
- Weight – 1.2kg
The CoolShip comes with a power adapter and a user manual. The device can run a stock version of Android 4.0, or CoolShip OS which is a customized Android version, specifically developed for the CoolShip computer, that allows users having an user experience close to that of Windows OS (But no screenshots are available..).
Since it’s based on Rockchip RK3066, and the developer community managed to release PicUntu, an Ubuntu based distribution for RK3066 mini PC, it’s likely you may also eventually be able run PicUntu on the CoolShip.
FocusWill also promotes the device as a “green” computer, because it can be upgraded easily by simply replacing the CPU module inside the keyboard.
You can watch the presentation video below for details.
The company claims to have already done a first successful production run, so the device development should already be complete, but they need some help to get a larger production run in order to decrease the cost of the device, which is why they launched an Indiegogo campaign, and aim to raise $10,000 US in total.
The cheapest pledge is the Starter Package ($89) that includes a CoolShip computer with 4GB Flash running Android 4.0 and international shipping, and goes up to $139 with 8GB Flash, and an extra 32 GB SD Card loaded with CoolShip OS tryout and a USB mouse. All pledges will be shipped in April 2013.
Beside the Indiegogo campaign, you can also find more information on FocusWill CoolShip page.
Thanks to Onebir for the tip!