WonderMedia Announces 7″ and 10.1″ Reference Tablets Powered by WM8980 SoC
WonerMedia has unveiled 2 turnkey tablet solutions for manufacturers powered by their WM8980 SoC combining a dual Cortex A9 processor, and an ARM Mali 400MP2 GPU. One design is based on a 10.1″ display, and the other on a 7″ display.
The key features of WonderMedia tablet reference designs are as follows:
- Up to 1.4GHz WM8980 ARM Cortex- A9 Dual-Core processor
- ARM Mali-400 Dual-Processor GPU
- Up to 2GB DDR3 RAM and 16GB NAND Flash
- Thin design of only 4.5mm on top edge and 3mm on side edge
- Weight - 650g for 10.1” and 370g for 7” designs
- Support for up to 8M rear camera and 2M front camera
- WiFi and 3G cellular networks support
- I/O – 1x Mini HDMI port, 1x Micro SD port (up to 32GB), 1x USB and Micro-USB OTG port, and 1x 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
- Battery – Up to 8000mAh battery for 10.1″ and up to 3400mAh battery for 7″ designs
- Manufacturing and assembly process for easier production
The solutions support Android 4.2. Mass production for WM8980 was supposed to start last quarter, but I can’t find any WM8980 based tablet in the news or in Aliexpress or Alibaba, so we may have to wait a few more months to see tablets based on these solutions hit the market.