18 responses

1. Marius
    April 21, 2013

This is really interesting and I think I’m going to try it out sometime. I’m even more excited about LIMA though.

2. misko
    April 22, 2013

I don’t understand one think Android is always build as softfp (drivers same)
    and rest of os run as armv7hl (hard fp)
    it looks like libhybrids solve this part too right?

there is some hack for NOKIA N9 (all hardfp libs) that is able to run softfp software for example angly birds star wars

3. cnxsoft
    April 22, 2013

@misko
    In this setup he’s using a standard Linux kernel and drivers with the Android libraries.
    I’ve checked, and confirmed, the rootfs is armhf, and the Android libs are armel, I’m not sure what kind of magic happens with libhybris.

4. m][sko
    April 22, 2013

you should try another board 🙂

can you try to set up 50,60 Hz refresh rate
    it it still works fine 🙂

5. The Cageybee
    April 23, 2013

Doh. I was hoping that all that would be needed would be to copy a few files from and Android release for the target device over to Linux and et voila, the library do its work. Life’s never that simple though. 🙁

6. vgrade
    April 23, 2013

@m][sko

I’ll try on my mele A1000 soon.

Also video mode on TV was 12×7 at 50Hz, not sure yet why the framerate output was showing 25Hz

7. Luc Verhaegen
    April 24, 2013

Why even use libhybris on the cubieboard? We have proper armhf binaries for both X11 and fb for sunxi.

8. cnxsoft
    April 24, 2013

@vgrade
    I also have a Mele, I guess I just need to change script.bin and the bootloader, right?

@Luc Verhaegen
    Just for experimentation.

9. PV
    May 27, 2013

Hi Jean,

Thanks for gr8 tut.
    I follow the instruction but when I run on device egl_test it crash with sigfault.

here is log http://ais.im/test_glesv2.log

Any suggestion on issue. or is there any ready to use image ?

10. cnxsoft
    May 27, 2013

@PV
    It’s still not working for me (I haven’t fixed my Cubie), as per the error message in this blog. I haven’t seen your error before. Have you tried to follow the advice from the log?:

Try: zypper install -C “debuginfo(build-id)=4b82b0a4d8b1e617453c92539129e9ea245f4124”

11. PV
    May 30, 2013

Aah sorry for late reply. I was expecting a email notification :).

Yes I did try that. In fact with some further test I realise that error is same no matter I patch or not.

I have also ensure that it’s patched properly but still situation same.

12. cnxsoft
    May 30, 2013

@PV
    I’ve tried (and failed) to remove the microSD card slot from my Cubieboard with a soldering iron and desoldering wire, but it seems quite challenging for me.

You’d better check the original article, and ask Martin Brook directly. I’ve probably done a small mistake in this tutorial.

13. wickwire
    July 7, 2013

“Installing and Running Mer

Since we don’t build the image ourself, this step is rather easy, as we just need to download the image, and dump it to a micro SD card.

wget nemo-cubieboard-tablet-cubieboard-mer-testing-armv7hl-weekly-20130413-1612-mmcblk0p.raw.bz2

Proper URL please, thanks

14. cnxsoft
    July 7, 2013

@wickwire
    Sorry, I’ve updated the post.
    The latest image is available at ftp://5.9.162.110/nemo/cubieboard/tablet/cubieboard/mer/testing/armv7hl/weekly/

15. wickwire
    July 8, 2013

Hi, many thanks for the guide. I have a cubieboard, think I’ll have a look at Mer before anything else, and then move on to your guide!

Thank you once again.

16. wickwire
    July 9, 2013

I’ve managed to play the Qt5_CinematicExperience_rpi_1.0 example using qmlscene but something curious is happening:

– I have no text being displayed, only graphical elements and images
    – near the top left corner of the screen I’m getting an intermittent cursor blinking
    – qmlscene crashes after a while and won’t allow me to re-run the example – only works after reboot

I also tried the minimer example, with that I get the rotating/scaling wallpaper.

17. maribu
    July 23, 2013

Hi, there!

Thanks for the guide. I struggled for a while with compiling the android image (I had to downgrade jdk, python and gnu make and still have some errors building it) and now decided to ask for help. If someone who manged to build the android image could provide the tar-archive of the /system folder (e. g. via ubuntu one, dropbox, …) you would save me hours of work. (And maybe others are interested in this, too?)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    maribu

18. maribu
    July 28, 2013

Hi, again!

It looks like I got it working. Here is my /system folder of the output: http://ubuntuone.com/64JdjdWVq9F2E5p6gMQE1J I don’t have my Cubieboard at hands, so I haven’t tested it right now.

Another interesting thing you can do with libhybris is using the android CedarX driver, which is said to work better than the native glibc version. Have a look here: http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/libve

I also like to provide the extracted headers (using lutils/extranct-headers.sh from https://github.com/libhybris/libhybris) from the android Cubieboard source: http://ubuntuone.com/6PwRhU0CN1MZFrBUNJFnHL

Regards,