Bsquare Announces Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Series Mobile Development Platforms
BSQUARE has recently announced the availability of its Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Mobile Development Platform (MDP), based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 8974 (LTE), which will be released both in tablet and smartphone form factor. This development platfom has been designed for application developers and device manufacturers so that they can develop, test, optimize and showcase apps in Android 4.2.2 powered by the latest Qualcomm SoCs.
Snapdragon 800 Tablet and Smartphone MDP specifications:
- SoC – 8974 Quad Core Krait 400 Snapdragon Processor @ 2.3GHz with Adreno 330 embedded GPU and Hexagon v5 QDSP6
- Memory and Storage – N/A, apparently you don’t need to know…
- Tablet MDP – 11.6” 1080p HD Multitouch Display
- Smartphone MDP – 4.3” 720p HD Multi-touch display
- Video Playback – UltraHD/4K video support via HDMI output
- Camera – 12MP rear camera w/ Flash (1080p HD @ 30fps) & 2MP front facing camera (1080p HD @ 30fps)
- Audio – Surround sound playback, Surround sound record for camcorder, Handset ANC with Fluence echo cancellation and noise suppression, Headset with ANC support & beyond four Microphones for FluencePRO, Ultrasound Gestures and Active Pen support
- Sensors – 3D accelerometer, 3-axis gyro, 3-axis compass, Ambient Light, Temperature, Pressure, & Humidity, Fingerprint reader
- Haptics for tactile feedback
- USB – USB 3.0 port(s). We don’t know how many…
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi® 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.5/5GHz), Bluetooth, GPS, NFC
The only difference between the tablet and smartphone MDP is the display size and resolution. These are ones of the rare development platforms that come with 802.11ac, a new Wi-Fi standard allowing data transfer at up to 1.3 Gbps, as well as USB 3.0. Both MDPs ship pre-loaded with Android 4.2.2. Development can be performed with tools such as the Snapdragon SDK, AllJoyn SDK for peer-to-peer connectivity , and/or the Vuforia SDK for augmented reality apps.
Bsquare MDP can be purchased now for $799 and $1099, for respectively the smartphone and tablet version, with 3 to 4 weeks lead time “due to high demand”, and the price includes 30 minutes of support. Further information is available on Bsquare’s Snapdragon MDP page.
Via Linuxgizmos and BSquare newsletter.