$48 Ninss Tech BBA22 Android STB Powered by AllWinner A20
Ninss Tech BBA22 is an ultra cheap AllWinner A20 dual core Cortex A7 Android 4.2 media player with 1GB RAM, 4GB Flash, Wi-Fi and Ethernet. It lacks SATA, but if you don’t absolutely need this particular feature, it’s amazingly about 30 to 40 USD cheaper that competing products such as Jesurun A19 or Mele M5.
Here’s an attempt at the specifications:
- SoC – AllWinner A20 dual core Cortex A7 @ 1.2GHz with ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3 (256*8*4)
- Storage – 4GB NAND Flash (Optionally: 8 or 16 GB) + micro SD card slot
- Video output – HDMI, CVBS
- Audio output – HDMI, CVBS, and optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – WI-FI 802.11 b/g/n (USB RTL8188) + 10/100M Ethernet
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 Host + 1x micro USB OTG
- Misc – IR Sensor, reset button, function key (for USB), power and status LEDs
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 148mm x 148mm x 26mm.
The sites (Aliexpress and Alibaba) all list incomplete specifications, so I used the pictures to “reverse-engineer” the specs. The problem is that they mixed pictures for different devices in one page, but I’ve used the board picture below to double check. Based on that picture, the actual shape of the device should be a rectangle, but the device shown with a squared enclosure in many pictures and the specs…
The device runs Android 4.2, and according to one Aliexpress seller, comes with an HDMI cable, an AV cable, a Wi-Fi antenna (highly unlikely based on the pic below), an “heating sink holder” (what is that?), a micro USB power cable, a power adapter, a remote control, and a CD.
Sellers on Aliexpress do not mention BBA22 model name at all, but the board picture is available with the marking “Ninss BBA22-VL10”, which means Ninss Tech is probably the actual manufacturer, or at least the PCB designer. There are five unpopulated connectors, including 4 USB connector, one of which (UART-DBG) is certainly to access the serial console. I’m not sure what FOR12 connector is for… Any ideas?
This media player, and possible variations with Wi-Fi antenna, is available for $48 to $50 on Aliexpress including shipping. You can also buy in quantity directly from Ninss Tech on Alibaba for $33 to $36 per unit depending on order quantity.
Thanks to Gabe for the tip, links to Aliexpress sellers, to the manufacturer and PCB picture