If you’ve got a ChromeCast, and are disappointed by its limited features, XDA member ddggttff3 has released a custom ROM for the device based on the 13300 stock image. It is rooted, has its own OTA system, and features a dedicated recovery and a custom kernel in order to enhance the user experience.
- Root SSH/Telnet Access
- Uses DHCP DNS Servers
- Google OTA’s Disabled
- Custom Boot Image
- PwnedCast OTA Update Engine!
- PwnedCast Recovery Image, based on FlashCast V1.1.1
- KyoCast Built In!
Currently the most interesting feature is the addition of KyoCast which provides access to services like AOL, HBO, Post, Rev3, and Songza. But more work and features are certainly on the way.
If you want to give it a try, download the image, and flash it as follows:
- Setup and Install FlashCast V1.1.1 on a USB Drive in Windows or Linux. Don’t use another FlashCast version, or it may fail.
- Rename the 13300.010.zip to eureka_image.zip, and place in the root folder on the USB Drive.
- Plug the USB drive into the ChromeCast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device. Release the button.
- Flashing will take about 6 minutes, and the device will reboot automatically.
Further information, including methods to disable OTA, and link to source code, is available on XDA Developers Forum.