Home > AMLogic, Android, Linux > AMLogic S802 / M802 Android 4.4 SDK, Documentation and Reference Schematics Are (Almost) Available

February 19th, 2014 Leave a comment Go to comments

We’ve seen in the past AMLogic sometimes pushes some updated GPL software releases on their Open Linux website. So I went to have a look a few days ago, and to my surprise they already had instructions to download and build Android 4.4 for AMLogic M802 (Tablet) and S802 (STB), “user’s guides”, as well as links to reference schematics for the tablets… Nice!!!

AMLogic_M802_Android_SDK_Schematics

AMLogic Open Android Tablet Page Screenshot (Click to Enlarge)

I started with 4.4_ReleaseInfo for “Mbox” (S802), which explains how to get the SDK release on 2014-01-27 (kk-amlogic-20140127):

repo init -u ssh://[email protected]/kitkat/platform/manifest.git -b kk-amlogic
repo sync
repo init -m openlinux_kk-amlogic_20140127.xml
repo sync

Unfortunately the joy stopped right there, as you need to send your SSH public key to your representative. I’ve just done that, and sent an email to support [at] amlogic.com, and mbox-android [at] amlogic.com on Sunday, and I have yet to gain access. I’ve found the “mbox-android” email in from Mbox page (similar to screenshot above) in a field right of “reference schematics” column, which has been removed since then. I’ve just noticed you actually need to fill a form with your company details to potentially get approval.

I’ve also found out that links to schematics and “user’s guides” all ask you to “please contact your sales window”, so there’s basically nothing available from this “open source” website, except the GPL source code directory last updated in April 2013, and there’s obviously nothing about S802/M802. There’s also  documentation available publicly or via NDA / SLA depending on the doc. Finally a Tools page is available, but with all information referring to files in the SDK.

The media box reference platform appears to be called “AML-M802 K200″ with either 1 or 2GB RAM. and there appears to be two tablets reference designs: M802 K100 and M802 K101. There’s also a TV section for AMLogic T802?, but it’s empty for now.

1. m][sko
    February 19th, 2014 at 16:02 | #1

I received: we are not ready with M802 version
    But old MX version of kernel is public
    27-Dec-2013 is latest version
    but it is old 3.0.8 kernel

2. February 19th, 2014 at 17:04 | #2

@m][sko
    A bit better. I should have gone down in the directory structure… I only looked at the GPL directory.
    I can see they also have r3p2 drivers for Mali-400 – http://openlinux.amlogic.com:8000/download/ARM/gpu/gpu-2013-12-20-88078c9f9f.tar.gz

Is it usable in Linux?

3. m][sko
    February 19th, 2014 at 23:38 | #3

Mali has 2 set of drivers
    1. Framebuffer only – gpu-2013-12-20-88078c9f9f.tar.gz
    2. X.org only

for x.org version you can try
    libv(co author of opensource drivers ) is big collector :)

But as I wrote on this page. don’t expect good performance from x.org mali drivers.

But if you really want to play with mali on amlogic boards
    you can fallow howto-s on

for x.org you can try this
    raspberry pi and Allwinner SOC add support for 2D acceleration of x.org
    amlogic has some 2D acceleration as far as I know (for window composition,..)

And you can use linux xbmc ports as source of information
    but they use mali Framebuffer drivers as xbmc support it
    They have bunch of patches for kernel in git (audio with full 48KHz output support, some network drivers patches,..)

I use framebuffer drivers with Qt5

And rockchip use mali in there soc-s
    you can try to modify picuntu (ubunutu for rockchip SoC)

4. mat
    February 20th, 2014 at 00:49 | #4

I think folks from odroid use r3p2 , look @ http://lkcl.net/reports/odroid-u2.html ….

5. onebir
    February 20th, 2014 at 18:05 | #5

Onda V975M 9.7″ tablet is using this.

6. m][sko
    March 9th, 2014 at 21:50 | #6

to cnx
    free kernel on amlogic website
    it is kernel 3.10.10 :)
    thx amlogic
    thx you

they also release gpu drivers and uboot

7. March 9th, 2014 at 21:56 | #7

@m][sko
    Nice!

8. March 10th, 2014 at 10:21 | #8

@m][sko
    However, it does not appear to build.

arch/arm/mach-meson8/include/mach/system.h:40:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘WRITE_MPEG_REG’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    WRITE_MPEG_REG(VENC_VDAC_SETTING, 0xf);

9. March 10th, 2014 at 10:41 | #9

Looks OK now… Just my mistake…

10. micbanand
    April 5th, 2014 at 18:16 | #10

Is there something of this I can use for debricking my onda v975m.
    missing usb_spl.bin and a config.xml file for recovery.
    only contact to tablet is by amlogic usb burning Tool. (as m8. tools driver working)

normal recovery by m sd Card is by a .aml file with some Linux command.
    but nand total empty or corrupt. so no go :(
    Please help!

11. gizmomelb
    April 27th, 2014 at 08:30 | #11

hi guys, there were updated sources at the openlinux site on 14th March.

12. gizmomelb
    April 27th, 2014 at 17:55 | #13

ahh awesome, thanks mate – the newer build instructions will come in handy.

1. March 10th, 2014 at 12:30 | #1