Xiaomi Unveils $64 Mi Box Pro TV Box Powered by Amlogic S802 SoC
Xiaomi, now just called Mi, has announced three new products today. Two 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers: Mi Wi-Fi Router for 699 CNY ($112), and Mi Wi-Fi mini for 129 CNY ($20), and one Android TV box called Mi Box Pro featuring Amlogic S802 quad core Cortex A9r4 processor with 2GB RAM, 4GB eMMC Flash, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi that will sell in China for just 399 CNY ($64).
- SoC – Amlogic S802 quad core Cortex A9r4 processor @ 2GHz with ARM Mali-450MP6 octa-core GPU
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 4GB eMMC Flash + micro SD slot up to 64 GB
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI (Up to 4K30) and 3.5 mm AV
- Audio / Video Playback – MKV, AVI, MP3 and MOV up to 4K resolution. AC3, Dolby and DTS audio support
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi up to 120 Mbps (vs 40 Mbps for 802.11n)
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port + 1x USB OTG port
The box is running MIUI TV user interface, which is running on top on Android. Compared to other Amlogic S802 TV box that has started to sell on the market, the device drops Ethernet and S/PDIF, as less internal storage and USB ports, but it adds Wi-Fi 802.11ac which should easily match 10/100M Ethernet performance, and replace the NAND flash by a faster eMMC flash. At $64 (in China), the price is amazingly competitive, as others sell for about $100 (including shipping outside China).
The device will sell in China first, but the company has plans to expand to Malaysia, Philippines, India, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam, followed by Russia, Turkey, Brazil and Mexico later on. You can find more information on Mi Pro Box page (In Chinese, but an English version is coming).