Kankun KK-SP3 is a $20 Wi-Fi Smart Socket for Android and iOS
I’ve already featured Broadlink SP1 and SP2 smart socket on this blog. The former is a simple Wi-Fi smart socket for Android and iOS, and the later adds support for motion sensing and energy monitoring. They cost respectively about $30 and $45 including shipping. I’ve discovered another cheaper option with Kankun KK-SP3 via DealExtreme ($23.75), but it can also be found on Aliexpress for as low as $19.99 including shipping. If you live in China, It’s available on Taobao for 99 RMB ($15.82).
Here are the specs of this smart socket:
- Power Plug – Three flat-pin plug (Australia type)
- Wi-Fi – 802.11 b/g/n, 15 dbm. Texas Instruments Wi-Fi module (CC3000?)
- Input Voltage – 90~265V @ 50-60 Hz
- Output Current – 10A
- Maximum Power – 2200W
- Dimensions – 5.3 cm x 5.3 cm x 2.8 cm
- Temperature Range – -10 to 55°C
Unless you live in Australia, China, Argentina, New Zealand, and the few other countries using this type of plug, you’ll need an adapter, or use an universal power strip. The socket sells with a user’s manual and warranty card. You’ll then need to download SmartWifi app for Android or iOS. QR Codes are available on the package to facilitate the app installation procedure.
However, you’ll quickly notice everything is in Chinese, and there’s no way to change the language. Luckily the Aliexpress link above, provide some clear explanation in English, and here’s what you have to do to get started:
- Plug the socket to your mains, and wait 20 seconds for boot up
- On the “training” video (in Chinese), at this stage, they press the button on the unit for 3 to 4 seconds, but I’m not sure it’s needed. This is done to restore factory settings.
- On your phone, connect to OK_SP3 hotspot
- Start the app to find your Wi-Fi router, and enter your password. Click on “Apply”, and wait for 20 seconds for the socket to reboot.
- Your smart socket should now show up in your app.
At this stage, you should be able to turn on and off your device directly, setup timers and on/off schedules. Kankun smart plug can also double as Wi-Fi repeater which could be handy.
You may be able to find more details on Kankun website (Chinese only).