45 responses

1. vtomin
    May 1, 2014

I’ve had one purchase from Tinydeal. I payed 2 or 3 USD extra to use Deutche Post and the package arrived in about three weeks (I live in eastern Europe). However, the official tracking provided by Tinydeal didn’t work and I couldn’t find anything from Deutche Post either. The only tracking that worked was on http://www.trackitonline.ru/

Is there any better way to track shipments from China? For DHL last year I used http://www.boxoh.com/ and they had an RSS feed which was very convenient.

2. onebir
    May 1, 2014

A couple more things about Aliexpress:
    – you have so many days after receipt to identify problems, ‘open a dispute’ &/ write give a negative rating to the seller. This causes the seller headaches & delays their receipt of your payment, which puts you in a good position to get refunds etc (even in excess of the seller’s stated policy, which is often not helpful to say the least). After accepting goods, you’re *completely* at the seller’s mercy. (I’ve had quite good and quite bad experiences in this situation.)
    – there are some outright fraudulent products (notably unbelievably cheap ‘expanded 32gb’ SD cards & USB sticks, which in fact 8gb cards with special firmware that fakes 32gb, overwriting existing files in a loop when the available space runs out. Only detectable by dding 32gb (or whatever) of files to and from the SD. Argh.)

3. onebir
    May 1, 2014

Re buyincoins, while the reviews are fake, in other ways they’re not bad: product quality is as good as the other comparable shops, prices generally lower (can be much lower), shipping faster & they’ve been pretty good about returns on some (small) items I’ve had trouble with.

I think Focalprice is comparable with DX in most ways, but maybe a little cheaper. They don’t write (aka copy/paste) their own reviews like buyincoins, but, if they don’t like yours it never appears. (ie the published reviews are hopelessly biased).

4. Brian
    May 2, 2014

I wish I had known DealXxtreme’s $15 rule. I made an $11 and a $21 purchase on the same day (because I needed to use different payment methods for each), March 13.

The $21 purchase (an air mouse — which I love) came in about two weeks. The $11 purchase has yet to arrive; it’s very frustrating. I guess you get what you (don’t) pay for, though.

Also, reading your comments about getting stuff shipped to Thailand, posts elsewhere about the Chromecast’s poor international availability, etc, I feel a bit spoiled living in the US. It seems like we get just about everything here — and about 75% of it is on Amazon and will arrive in two or three days!

5. Msi
    May 2, 2014

Re.DX: considered very unreliable in my region (Croatia, EU) – on local forums number of reports about payed orders never delivered can be found – personaly have two orders payed in Dec. last year never deliverd,
    DX doesn’t bother to answer tickets any more;
    Banggood: considered reliable, personal experience: 100% delivery in max. 10 days.
    buyincoins: considered reliable, no personal experience.

6. natsu
    May 2, 2014

I confirm, aliexpress is fine, but they have some problem here and there, the main problem is that 99% of them don’t want to sent an invoice with the products with cause a lot of customs duty problems

7. qwiqooq
    May 2, 2014

I always laugh at the way GeekBuying show their “discounted” price. If the difference between the regular price and the discounted price is only a few bucks then I would definitely believe that. But they often blow the regular price up too hard, lol.

And also on AliExpress you should be aware the type of deal that is too good to be true, especially for relatively new or least reviewed seller.

8. Jibril
    May 2, 2014

I have bought successfully with E-retailers (B2C) as Seeed Studio.com or Seller Portals as Aliexpress (an Alibaba.com company), Focalprice, GeekBuying, DHgate, GoodLuckBuy, Easy-TaoBao.com and a lot from Ebay…switching from ones to others for best price on interested products or just for lots (quantities).
    Where there’s no PayPal always there is VISA/Mastercard.
    Obviously always checking the right product’s description.

9. onebir

@qwiqooq
    Re ‘too good to be true’ deals: AFAIK even 5 star sellers offer the spoofed 32GB cards; in practice few people test them, and if they ever realise what’s happening, it’s well after the opportunity to open a dispute has passed. (Testing these cards on arrival and demonstrating they’re not 32GB could be a way to get loads of free 8GB cards; Aliexpress (supposedly?) guarantees items are ‘as-described’. If anyone gets away with this, let us know! Time to give these vendors a kick in the ****!)

10. Johny007
    May 2, 2014

I can confirm that Buyincoins is good, I bought 4 times from them, I usually find something on DX and then search Buyincoins if they have it, if they do, it’s usually cheaper. Also I would like to mention LinkDelight.com which is great for camera equipment, I bought from them a 200$ tripod and it went well.

11. natsu

@onebir
    in fact, last year I brought a 64 GB SD card for 12 $ or so, I was sure there was something fishy about it, but for 12 $, it wasn’t a big deal, I received the card, and it was a 64, but in reality it crashs everytime when I write more than 7 Gb, in fact it was certainly an 8 gb SDcard with a modified partition master table, I didn’t bother to returned, since I’ve already confirmed that the good was received, but shame on me, it’ was too good to be true, and there is no SD HC 64 gb anyway, but I think it was a good experience, and in my opinion, don’t by any flash storage from there

12. Jibril

Johny007 :
    I bought from them a 200$ tripod and it went well.

200$ without paying taxes or duties on imported good ?

13. wzy
    May 2, 2014

I wish ‘Eric’ at GeekBuying.com will respond.
    I bought a MK808B that got lost during shipping and i didn’t have any problems with support or a full refund. In fact I like his involvement in the ROM community, makes me want to always buy from them, but…

14. LaChuck

Thanks. I was only familiar with about half of these shops. Bookmarked 😛

15. onebir

@natsu
    I think if the price for an xGB card is within about 20% of the price on dx & similar stores, it’ll be genuine. Also the sellers will generally tell you if you ask them….

16. cnxsoft

@vtomin
    For tracking by registered mail, I start to go to the origin country tracking site:
    * China Post – http://intmail.183.com.cn/icc-itemstatusen.jsp (Probably not the official website).
    * Hong Kong Post – http://app3.hongkongpost.hk/CGI/mt/enquiry.jsp
    * Singapore Post – http://www.singpost.com/

And after it has left the country of origin, I switch to the country of destination tracking website.
    For reference, as I’m based in Thailand, I use http://track.thailandpost.com/trackinternet/Default.aspx?lang=en. They also have an Android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trackandtrace.lazylist), which may be convenient as you automatically receive alerts.

17. Alex
    May 2, 2014

If you’re in Europe then a key reason why many items cannot be bought locally is that the products have not been CE tested and do not have the European CE certificate. This means they’ve not been tested for safety and are illegal to import into Europe. A bit like under-declaring value most countries do not check for valid CE, but some do. The lack of CE cert prevents legitimate European retailers from importing products for resale. If you want a higher quality product tested to European safety standards only buy from European retailers. The siatuation is probably the same in the United States but with FCC certification.

18. onebir
    May 2, 2014

This site links to parcel tracking pages in most countries:
    (China Post site has a captcha & isn’t integrated though)

19. Javi
    May 2, 2014

This is one of the best for tracking almos all companies (local and destiny at same time):

20. devgiant
    May 2, 2014

I’ve been using 17track.net for the past couple of years and never needed to go anywhere else. @Javi

21. Eric

wzy :
    I wish ‘Eric’ at GeekBuying.com will respond.

ok,Eric Is here! Sorry to hear your problem! Hope our customer service have solved the problem
    For you. If you have any problem about our service, shipping,product, feel free to contact me!
    We are always here, listening to our customers suggestions and improve!

22. Ryan
    May 3, 2014

CNXSoft, i really love your comments on this and that 🙂 quite realistic and with so large knowledge about China staff without being that .i’m Chinese,one professional sales man Android box field,quite familar with this field ,also know quite a lot of B2C staff,becasue lots wholesaler ,and brands you mentioned ,bought products from us 🙂

anyway ,what i want say is , i like you comment, may some day ,we can be friends or have some partenership with your website :0

23. Tadej
    May 3, 2014

I can add only fastcardtech.com that I know, but I have not bought anything from them. I find also focalprice ok. and have bought from dx.com, w2comp.com and aliexpress very succesfully, until now.

But there were very handfull to have some search engine to find products between those sites!

24. G
    May 3, 2014

Pandawill.com has better/newer and cheaper phones than DX. Really, don’t buy phones from DX. (Almost) everything else – yes.

I agree with Singapore Post being better than HK Post, and China Post being the slowest.

re:Alex “If you want a higher quality product tested to European safety standards only buy from European retailers.”
    You forgot “far more expensive”. The way I see it, I could spend 600$ for a quality tested Samsung/Apple phone or I could get a phone with similar hardware from China for $200.

Also seeedstudio.com is good for development boards at not-inflated prices (an example of inflated prices: Farnell).

The Postal system / customs also ban/restrict lasers / knifes / magnets also also batteries. Though any of these might pass inspection. The batteries depend on how they’re packaged / size / type etc. And most importantly on how much every country chooses to enforce rather silly rules.

25. Javi
    May 3, 2014

Ship by China Post (or shenzhen post, guangdong post or another chinese “post”) is a big risk to lose your packages. Choose Swiss post, Singapore post, Netherland post (for phones), HK post… but, please, never China post (long experience talking).

26. cnxsoft
    May 3, 2014

@G
    I bought my phone from DX, and it had the cheapest price. True that’s not the norm (DX begin cheaper than Aliexpress for example), but I guess you just need to shop around before you buy.

@Javi
    Even if you use registered mail? I’ve just had two parcels that got lost with China Post, but they were too cheap for the sender to use registered mail.

@Ryan
    Thanks. Of course, I’m open to cooperation.

27. cnxsoft
    May 3, 2014

I’ve just news got someone who received a device advertised with 2GB RAM, but it ended only having 1 GB RAM. That was on Aliexpress, but he asked for a partial refund before confirming reception I believe, and you could get $7 paid to his Paypal account out of a $40 device, after some haggling. So remember if you don’t exactly get what was promised, you can always try to some of your money back.

28. Sebastian
    May 4, 2014

Ive purchased from dx, pandawill, focalprice, tinydeal, buyincoins, tmart, banggood and geekbuying. Almost 40 purchases in total. I´ve received defective items 5 times from dx, focalprice, tinydeal and pandawill. I resolved the issues with those sites (usually by refunds or coupons) except for Pandawill. Their customer service is very annoying. They didn´t recognised the problems even after I gave them plenty of proofs. That was the only time I had to use paypal as a mediator. I DON´T RECOMMEND PANDAWILL AT ALL.

29. Javi
    May 4, 2014

I was talking about registered mail, if use normal post the disaster can be bigger.

China post lost 30~40 packages in 2012 christmas from my company, also someone more after that. Solution?, change to Swiss post, Sweden post, HK post… now maybe 2-3 packages are lost PER YEAR.

Also for those who are living in Argentina, no matter which company you choose, local customs open boxes, steal goods and even sometimes put inside old things. Some chinese shops even don’t want sell to Argentina because this.

30. cnxsoft
    May 16, 2014

Somebody (from Australia) also bought on taobao via taobaoring.com:

31. Stephen
    January 27, 2015

@Sebastian
    Any issues with Geekbuying.com?

32. Bonnie brown
    January 25, 2016

I hear some much bad things about geekbuying now after I spent so much. I paid for DHL shipping take only 2 to 3 days I worried won’t come. Everyone bad things cause they didn’t get they want something always. I left 5 emails I have not got one yet. I want know are they real do they mean the shipping I paid for. Also every number I called nothing. I about go my bank report was scam but if I wrong please someone tell me

33. cnxsoft
    January 25, 2016

@Bonnie brown
    GeekBuying is normally a trusted vendor. I’m not sure their customer service staff works during the week-end however, so give it a at least one more day for them to reply.

34. Bonnie brown
    January 25, 2016

I sry using anyone @cnxsoft their are good I got it today and I never got a tracking number I listen utube videos they got it in 3 days geekbuying this time is my first usally ebay. I paid the DHL shipping. I like know are you in the states how long did take for you get what you got please it’s helping so much. After I got about 200 dollars I got email great I was thinking. Then I look at reviews like people bad about anything just test I look on eBay same. I so worried it’s scam I not get it says 3 to 5 days but like I said I got it around 2 pm eastern time in Florida. Maybe in the morning I should I look top places shop online in China they were on the list. But what you saying helped but I like know how long took yours

35. Bonnie brown
    January 25, 2016

I sry using anyone @cnxsoft their are good I got it today and I never got a tracking number I listen utube videos they got it in 3 days geekbuying this time is my first usally ebay. How long took your cam I did DHL shipping

36. Bonnie brown
    January 25, 2016

How long took for shipping? I did DHL and I did get at 2pm Florida time

37. joseph mensah
    January 28, 2016

i want to use gearbest but their payment option is a problem. i dont have access to paypal so i find it difficult to shop from there. so they should try and accept other cards outside paypal.