Kaiboer announces F5, Q6 and Q9 UHD Android TV Boxes Powered by Mstar MSO9180D1R SoC
Kaiboer (开博尔) has hosted an event in Shenzhen on May 21 to unveil three new 4K Android media player powered by Mstar MSO9180D1R SoC namely Kaiboer F5, Kaiboer Q6 and Kaiboer Q9. Mstar MSO9180D1R processor appears to be similar but less powerful than Amlogic S802 with four ARM Cortex A9 cores @ 1.5 GHz and a quad core Mali-450 GPU. However, details about this SoC are not available, and Mstar Semi did not reply to my information request.
Here are the specifications for the new Kaiboer Android media players:
- SoC – Mstar MSO9180D1R Quad core ARM Cortex A9 @ 1.5GHz with a quad-core ARM Mali-450 MP2 GPU.
- System Memory
- F5 – 1GB to 2GB DDR3
- Q6 & Q9 – 2 GB DDR3
- F5 – 8GB or 16GB eMMC + microSD card slot
- Q6 – 16 GB eMMC + microSD card slot
- Q9 – 16 GB eMMC + microSD card slot + internal SATA bay for 3.5″ drives
- Video I/O
- HDMI in, HDMI out (All models)
- Q9 – CVBS and YPbPr
- Audio I/O
- HDMI in/out
- optical S/PDIF
- Q9 – Stereo RCA connectors + coaxial S/PDIF
- Video Codecs - Up to 4K. MPEG-1/2, MPEG-4, DivX, H.264, VC-1, H.263, Real Media, MVC, WMV, H.265, RM, RMVB, FLV
- Audio Formats – MPEG, WMA, WAV, APE, OGG, FLAC, ACC
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band Wi-Fi 802 b/g/n with external antenna(s) (Two for F5 and Q9, one for Q6)
- F5 – 3x USB2.0 host ports
- Q6 & Q9 – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB3.0 port
- Front panel (F5 and Q9) – LCD display + power button. Q9 also have a control pad (OK + arrows).
- Power Supply – 12V/2A
- F5 – 180 x 160 x 15mm
- Q6 – 100 x 160mm (cylinder)
- Q9 – 363 x 235 x 65 mm
Kaiboer Mstar TV boxes run a custom version of Android 4.3 called KIUI 7, but an Android 4.4 KitKat update is being worked on.
cngadget got an early sample, and did an unboxing video. He also mentioned the box is supposed to support hardware video decoding in XBMC.
Neither devices are available on Aliexpress, and they can also be purchased from Tmall. Kaiboer Q9 sells for 1299 RMB (~$208), and Q6 for 699 RMB (~$112). Kaiboer F5 is nowhere to be seen, except on Alibaba.