MK918 Android TV Box Powered by Rockchip RK3188T Sells for $50
MK918, also known as K-R42-1, CS918, or MK888, is an Android TV box powered by Rockchip RK3188T with 2GB RAM, and 8GB Flash. This is a pretty standard device, and I already featured it, but GeekBuying is selling the device for $49.99 as part of their second anniversary, which looks to be good deal, but it turns out some Aliexpress sellers are also doing promotions for about the same price ($50+). The promotion on GeekBuying will last about on more day, and around 50 units are available, and on Aliexpress promotions runs between 1 and 3 more days. The usual price seems to be between $60 and $70, but I guess some companies may get rid off old stocks with products based on Amlogic S802 already there, and Rockchip RK3288 and AllWinner A80 products soon to hit the market.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3188T quad Cortex-A9 CPU @ 1.4 GHz + Mali-400 MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 1 or 2GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Storage – 8GB Nand Flash + MicroSD slot (Up to 32GB)
- 10/100M Ethernet
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n with external antenna
- Bluetooth 4.0 (optional, may not be found in all models)
- Video Output – HDMI + AV output jack
- Audio Output – HDMI + + AV + optical S/PDIF
- Video Codecs (Decode) – MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 (up to 60 Mbps), AVS, VC-1, RV, VP6/VP8, Sorenson Spark, MVC @ 1080p60
- Video Codecs (Encode) – H.264, VP8, and MVC @ 1080p
- Audio Codecs – MP1,MP2,MP3,WMA,WAV,OGG,OGA,APE,FLAC,AAC,M4A,3GPP…etc
- USB – 2x USB host ports
- Misc – IR port
- Power – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 142x95x21 mm
- Weight – 135 grams
The device runs Android 4.2.2 and comes with a power adapter, HDMI and AV cables, a user’s manual, a micro USB to USB cable, and an IR remote control. Please bear in mind that Bluetooth may not be available in all models, and some feature 2GB RAM, others only 1GB. MK918 in GeekBuying features BlueTooth and 2GB RAM, but you’d better check if you purchase a box via Aliexpress. The remote control may also be different between sellers. The one provided on GeekBuying is pretty basic, and the picture above is from a seller on Aliexpress with more buttons. I never use the provided IR remote control myself, but maybe some people do :)… The latest firmware may be available here.
It’s pretty amazing how prices have come down, and you can now buy a quad core mini PC delivered to your door for just $50.