Amlogic S802 TV Boxes Are Getting Cheaper: Meet $72 MX3 (M82) TV Box
When Android media players based on Amlogic S802 first launched a little over 3 months ago, they all sold for over $100. Since then various products have come to market, with prices slowly edging lower. But none comes as cheap as MX3 (aka M82), whose name is probably inspired from Gbox Midnight MX2, as it sells for $72.22 on GearBest including shipping. [Update: It can be found for $70 on DealExtreme]
- SoC – AMLogic S802 quad core ARM Cortex A9r4 at 2.0GHz with ARM Mali-450MP6 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 4 GB NAND Flash + micro SD card slot
- Video and Audio Output – HDMI and AV
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n,
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports + micro USB OTG
- Misc – IR Sensor, Power LED, power button, and recovery/update switch via AV jack
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 11.5 x 11.5 x 2.5 cm
- Weight – 192 grams
The box comes with HDMI & AV cables, a power adapter, an IR remote control, and a user’s manual. In order to achieve a lower price, they’ve cut a few corners with just 1GB RAM, 4GB flash, and Bluetooth and SPDIF found in many other S802 have been dropped. The biggest issue might be the 4GB flash if you plan to install many applications.
There’s another reseller, Earnwisdom, that sells the box, and they made a review video showing the unboxing and the device in action. It’s still running Android 4.4 with XBMC pre-installed, and the usual metro style user interface.
The MX3 on Earnwisdon is sold for a more standard $99.99, but comes with 2GB RAM, 8GB flash, dual band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, so clearly there are several variations of the same model.