AllWinner A33 Quad Core Tablets Are Now Available for $60 and Up
AllWinner A33 is a new quad core Cortex A7 processor pin-to-pin compatible will AllWinner A23 dual core processor, that costs less than $5 with the power management IC (AXP223). Tablets based on the new processor are now available for sale, and just as low as $60 including shipping on Aliexpress. All models currently listed feature 9″ to 10″ displays, so it’s safe to expect 7″ tablets to be close to $50.
Let’s check the specs of one of the no-name 9″ tablets currently available:
- SoC – AllWinner A33 quad core Cortex A7 processor @ 1.3 GHz (Overclocked to 1.5GHz???) with Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 512MB RAM
- Storage – 8GB NAND FLASH + microSD card slot (Up to 32GB)
- Display – 9″ capacitive touch screen (800 x 480 pixels, 5 points touch)
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. 3G is supported via external 3G USB dongle.
- Camera – 0.3M front camera, 1.3MP rear camera
- USB – 1x micro USB 2.0 port
- Audio – Speakers, earphone jack
- Video Codecs – H.264, VP8, RV, WMV, AVS, H.263, MPEG4 up to 1080p
- Audio formats – MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, ACC+
- Sensors – Gravity sensor
- Battery – 3000 mAH Lithium battery
- Dimensions – 263 x 165 x 11.5 mm
- Weight – 650 gram???
The tablet runs Android 4.4.2, and comes with a 5V/2A power adapter, a OTG cable, a micro USB to USB cable, and a user’s manual. 512 MB RAM used to be a limitation in previous version of Android, but that might be OK with Android 4.4, as Google optimized Android for device with 512 MB RAM. I’d expect 800×480 resolution for a 9″ display will be somewhat pixelated, and the dual cameras to be a disaster. But if it’s for a first tablet, for a kid, or for tablet used as a control panel it could be an option. I and a few people around me purchased low cost tablets in the last few years, and I found them to be mostly usable, but you can’t expect to keep them to last very long because of the battery which will survive 6 months to a little over a year depending on your usage…
You may also want to read the press release for details about SmartColor image processing technology, video decoder performance, and power consumption (up to 300 hours in standaby mode with a 4,000 mAh battery).