14 responses

1. nipszx
    July 30, 2014

Will the Linux build degrade the strong wifi performance that was tested on this box running 4.2? Any G-Box MX2 Linux videos or tests yet? I noticed the video reviews had a lot of dislikes for some reason.

2. cnxsoft
    July 30, 2014

@nipszx
    Good questions. I doubt running Linux or Android degrades Wi-Fi on the box, because they must have the same kernel / drivers. However, even though this products is software compatible, the hardware will be different. That’s one of the reasons they can offer it at a lower price, so there’s no guarantee about Wi-Fi performance.

I haven’t tested XBMC Linux myself, so I don’t know, and the box has been given away. There may be various reasons with the disliked on the video.

3. Stane1983
    July 30, 2014

Hi,

correction here… all Amlogic MX boxes that are using Realtek USB chips (most of them are using rtl8192cu or 8188eu) needs driver modifications to work better (because original Aml driver have p2p interface, wfd interface… which are not needed in Linux and it only confuses Linux). Doing some tests I can confirm that modified Linux drivers shows better performance than stock Amlogic one (under Linux).

4. cnxsoft
    July 30, 2014

@Stane1983
    Thanks for the correction.
    I understand you compare the performance of Wi-Fi between the modified drivers and Amlogic drivers under Linux. Does it also mean Wi-Fi is better under Linux than under Android?

5. Stane1983
    July 30, 2014

Correct. For example, in Linux I use original realtek drivers, w/o amlogic modifications which showed much better performance.

6. Murat
    July 30, 2014

So does the one sold in geekbuying works with xbmc linux and 1080p or not? If so which version is it?

7. eric
    July 31, 2014

@Murat
    Yes, the one we sold support xbmc linux, i can check the resolution is 1280*720, i know in android xbmc, there is choice for me changing the resolution,but i can’t find it in linux xmbc, is there anyone can help? i also want to know if it can run @1080P.

8. Stane1983
    July 31, 2014

@Murat
    @eric

Afaik, nor Linux or Android for Amlogic MX platform supports real 1080p output, just scaled one.

9. eebrah
    July 31, 2014

There is a very similar *looking* device that has piqued my interest, this http://www.dx.com/p/hd18t2-dvb-s2-dual-core-android-2-2-google-tv-box-player-wireless-signal-w-1gb-ram-8gb-rom-black-294645. It has the same SOC and specs but I have no idea as to the internals. It has an inbuilt DVB-T2 tuner [ no info on that either ] and I am trying to figure out if it can run openElec, would be awesome if XBMCs PVR features worked on this

10. cnxsoft
    July 31, 2014

@eebrah
    It looks like that box: http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/05/22/unboxing-of-hd18t-android-media-player-with-dvb-t2-tuner/

The board is different from g18ref, so I guess MX Linux / OpenElec won’t work. I also don’t know whether XBMC Linux (ARM) supports DVB and PVR (if that’s what you are interested in). Maybe Stane1983 can confirm/correct that.

Using that HD18T box, It can’t find any TV channels where I live, and I’m waiting for a reference device to make sure it’s not my antenna. (Free from the government but they keep postponing it).
    Two guys from Singapore reported DVB-T2 does not work, but one of them said DVB-T is OK. It’s also possible there are DVB-T and DVB-T2 on the market.

11. sam
    August 4, 2014

Hi, Do you know if this box can, with OpenELEC 4.2 beta2, support USB Terratec HTC HD DVB-C, pls? My goal is to watch Live TV with it.

12. kszaq
    August 8, 2014

Stane1983: With some modifications you can have real 1080p playback in XBMC. See my post in 1.1.9 thread on Matricom forum for patch for Android (since people have some problems with it, I guess you also need to turn off XBMC scaling). On Linux all you have to do is turning free_scaling off. I confirmed real 1080p by playing test patterns.

13. Nelson Martinez
    December 12, 2014

Can I use this boxes and programs to get cable tv iin US?