Home > Actions Semi, Android, Hardware, Intel Atom, Windows 8 > Quad Core Android Tablet for $47, Wintel Tablet for $65

Quad Core Android Tablet for $47, Wintel Tablet for $65

September 3rd, 2014 Leave a comment Go to comments

When I think about $50 tablets, I think about 512MB RAM, 4GB flash, 800×480 resolution display and so on… But there’s currently a 7″ quad core Android tablet (eZee Tab 7Q11-L) that sells for $46.99 on BuyinCoins including shipping, which has some slightly better specs with 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, and a 1024×600 resolution touchscreen display.

eZee_Tab_Quad_Core_TabletHere are the specifications listed on Buyincoins:

• SoC – Action Semi ATM7029B quad core Cortex A5 class processor @ 1.3Ghz with PowerVR SGX540 GPU
  • System Memory – 1GB DDR3
  • Storage – 8GB NAND flash and micro SD slot up to 32GB.
  • Display – 7″ multi-touch capacitive touch screen with 1024 x 600 resolution
  • Video Output – micro HDMI
  • Audio Output – 3.5mm audio jack, speaker
  • Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, optional? Bluetooth (RTL8723AS-VT)
  • Camera – 0.3MP front camera
  • Sensors – Accelerometer, “automatic steering display screen”, G-sensor
  • Misc – Volume +/-, power and home buttons
  • Power Supply – 5V/1.5A via micro USB port
  • Battery – 2,800 mAh battery
  • Dimensions – 19.10cm x 11.60cm x 1.15cm
  • Weight – 330 grams

The tablet runs Android 4.1, and ships with a data cable, and a power adapter. I could also find this tablet model, on a French website, which has slightly different specs, i.e. 4GB storage instead of 8GB. 1.3MP camera, and Android 4.2, so it’s quite possible the specs listed in BIC are not fully correct, with the downside being you may end up with just 4GB flash. Nevertheless, a quad core tablet, albeit for a weak CPU and GPU, will all these features for $47, is quite a deal, and you could even consider it instead of a quad core mini PC considering it also features a micro HDMI port.

Thanks to onebir for the tip.

Since I’m talking about cheap tablets in this post, I’ll also mention the latest CUBE iWork7 powered by Intel Z3735 SoC and running Windows 8.1 (with Bing), selling for just about $65 (399 CNY) in China. I would not normally write about Windows only tablets, but since many people believe Windows + Intel = expensive, I wanted to show it may not always be the case. If you want to use Office however, price goes to 599 CNY (~$98).

Cube_IWORK_7
Cube iWork7 specifications:

• SoC – Intel Atom Z3735G quad-core processor, with Intel HD graphics
  • System Memory – 1GB RAM
  • Storage – 16GB eMMC flash
  • Display – 7″, 1280 x 800 pixel IPS display
  • Connectivity – Wi-Fi and 3G (China only?)
  • Video Output – (micro?) HDMI output
  • Camera – Front and rear cameras
  • Battery – Up to 8 hours of battery life.
  • Dimensions – 5.5 mm thick
  • Weight – 280 grams

The tablet may eventually be available on Aliexpress for prices that could be around $85 to $90, but unless you can read Chinese, you should probably not buy it, as Windows 8.1 have different versions depending on supported languages. It could also be possible Chinese sellers install the version supporting your language, but I’m not sure how (legally) feasible that is, and it would certainly slightly increase the price, if they need to install a specific version depending on your language of choice.

Via Mike Canex and Liliputing

1. jimjim
    September 3rd, 2014 at 11:55 | #1

Great to know about both of these tablets.

2. onebir
    September 3rd, 2014 at 14:30 | #2

Re Cube iWork7 could it run Linux???

3. September 3rd, 2014 at 14:57 | #3

@onebir
    Yes, based on comments on other posts, it should be possible to run Linux on Intel Bay Trail tablets, but this does not seem that easy.

4. Marius Cirsta
    September 3rd, 2014 at 18:58 | #4

I just want Linux on the Cube tablet so I couldn’t care less about the Windows installed.
    By Linux I mean Sailfish, WebOS or Android as these are the only tablet friendly Linux based OS that I know of.

5. Paul
    September 3rd, 2014 at 20:03 | #5

> it should be possible to run Linux on Intel Bay Trail tablets, but this does not seem that easy.

Yeah, get that – installing Linux on contemporary Intel tablet is unlikely much easier than installling it on ARM tablet. There’s no BIOS and all that legacy crap that makes us feel at home with Intel. Got some experience cracking locked UEFI bootloaders on modern Wintels? Good for you. Actually, it should be harder to install Linux on Wintel tablet than on an ARM one – because the latter already runs Linux in the form of Android, while Wintel surpisingly runs completely foreign OS, and a lot of things would not work if a typical distro were booted (audio, touchscreen, backlight, whatever – try and updated the list).

6. JotaMG
    September 4th, 2014 at 01:12 | #6

If Windows 8 is fast and smooth enough, why not stay with it?
    For $65 I really would like to have one!
    (I appreciate if someone can test this tablet)

7. Marius
    September 4th, 2014 at 03:24 | #7

@JotaMG
    Because I don’t like Windows ? :)) I have to put up with it as a dual boot solution for the desktop but I sure as hell don’t need it on mobile where Android is much, much better ( it has apps, uses less resources ) and Sailfish is also interesting.

8. Marius
    September 4th, 2014 at 03:28 | #8

@Paul
    Well I see tablets running Android on Baytrail are already out: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/ASUS-MeMO-Pad-7-ME176C-7-Atom-Z3745-Tablet-Review-Bay-Trail-Meets-Android

Shouldn’t be that hard to get the basic stuff working and the rest can be worked on as long as it boots and has some way of connecting to it and debugging stuff.
    It should be a nice challenge and a rewarding one too. The basic stuff has nice open source Linux drivers, especially the GPU, the rest may pose a slight challenge but are much easier to get working.

9. Marius
    September 4th, 2014 at 03:34 | #9

Ok, I’ve just found one tablet running Android on an Intel Z3735, it’s $94 so not that expensive:

10. Marius
    September 4th, 2014 at 03:39 | #10

@Marius

On further analysis it might be that only the $140 3G version is running on the Intel SOC while the other one uses an MTK chiset … damn Chinese descriptions

11. Slowstream
    September 5th, 2014 at 12:50 | #11

Just a hint but found this shop a while ago: http://www.ahappymango.com Best prices I ever saw for tablets. I think they sell overstock. You can grab a good enough dual tab for under 40$ including shipping. Also for instance just compare Cube talk 9x price. Did not see any better price elsewhere. Also you can find Ugoos rk3066 stick for 24$ including shipping. But did not yet bought from them. At least I know they answer their mails and offer paypal with its protection…

12. Marius Cirsta
    September 5th, 2014 at 18:33 | #12

@Slowstream
    Thanks for that, it seems to be a legit store and has some interesting products. It does indeed look like they’re some sort of an outlet.

13. Slowstream
    September 5th, 2014 at 22:15 | #13

@Marius Cirsta
    Well at least for tablets. Other stufs are like many others chinese stores.

14. Marius
    September 5th, 2014 at 23:53 | #14

@Marius Cirsta
    I retract my previous statement. I’ve read several online reviews saying that they’re running a scam, they send false tracking numbers and so on.
    I’m guessing paypal would suspend their account if enough people report is as scam though so I’m not sure. I might just order something cheap to test them out.

15. Slowstream
    September 6th, 2014 at 04:27 | #15

@Marius
    If you think its fake don’t waste your time. I thought paypal would be like a warrant? Maybe not after all…

16. Manuel
    September 6th, 2014 at 07:56 | #16

BuyinCoins seems to be out of stock of the mentioned tablet. And they only tell me by mail hours after I finished ordering process…

17. onebir
    September 6th, 2014 at 12:20 | #17

@Manuel Oh :( They’re usually pretty good…

18. September 6th, 2014 at 13:04 | #18

@Manuel
    Hours after order is not that bad, DX often tells me if they are having troubles sourcing an item after one week or so…

19. Marius
    September 6th, 2014 at 17:01 | #19

@Slowstream
    It’s OK because I actually want to test Paypal protection too so it’s a good chance to test both :)

20. onebir
    September 12th, 2014 at 21:32 | #20

A slightly pricier ($66) RK3188 contender:

21. Manuel
    October 16th, 2014 at 18:25 | #21

@onebir

Got the item today, delivered to Germany. Charging right now, can’t wait to power it up :)

22. fossxplorer
  23. Manuel
    October 16th, 2014 at 18:52 | #23

@fossxplorer
    can do, will try :)

24. fossxplorer
    October 16th, 2014 at 18:57 | #24

@cnxsoft, where did you see Cube iWork 7 for $65?

25. October 16th, 2014 at 19:08 | #25

@fossxplorer
    399 CNY (=$65) in China -> http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/cube-iwork-7-announced-us65/
    So if you look on Aliexpress it should be something like $80 to $90. hmm, they sell it for $110 and up. That’s a big difference.

26. onebir
    October 16th, 2014 at 20:07 | #26

@Manuel
    Better still, post a para or two here. Hope it’s good! :)

27. ockhams barber
    October 25th, 2014 at 06:35 | #27

I bought the “7.0” Android 4.2 Quad Core 1GB RAM 8GB” from BuyinCoins and I thought I would put a few thoughts down.

Pros

Generally very Good. The unit out-performs my old Samsung PT-P7100 which cost me just under $1000 a few years ago.
    Battery life is fair at about 4 hours.
    It runs all the apps I have installed so far and I haven’t had a single crash yet.

Cons:

Lack of Windows Drivers.
    In portrait mode the icons extend past the edge of the screen- no big deal
    I have been unable to find any method of rooting the device. If anyone can help with this I will be forever grateful. I have found a French site (storex) but they don’t have much info and supprise supprise it is in French

well I said this would be a short review.

Cheers
    Ockhams Barber

28. Marius Cirsta
    October 25th, 2014 at 08:17 | #28

Well the $65 is bullshit I’m afraid. I just searched for the iWork 7 on Taobao and the cheapest I could find is at 499 which is about $80.
    On Aliexpress the cheapest is about $109 which is a bit of a difference but not so much considering the fact that the shipment for this probably costs a bit too.

29. onebir
    October 25th, 2014 at 13:25 | #29

@ockhams barber Good info. What’s the processor – maybe a rooting method exists for that (if not the specific device)? It’s also possible BIC might be able to tell you.
    Thanks for the shave :)

30. October 25th, 2014 at 14:29 | #30

@ockhams barber
    Maybe you could try to use VROOT, however some antivirus (22%) said its infected/spyware, but the rest give it a pass.

If you want to try anyway: http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot

31. ockhams barber
    October 25th, 2014 at 14:39 | #31

Just a quick update.

Kingo Root available from http://www.kingoapp.com/ works 100% with this device, it even rooted mu old Samsung PT-P7100 which I had all but given up on. There was a bit of chatter on XDA late last year about some security concerns with Kingo but the developers have answered the issues raised. A thread covering the issues can be seen at http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/6055-kingo-root-method-warning/ . As always make up your own mind if you want to use this rooting method. I did run the software from within a virtual machine and as I don’t use the 2 tablets for any real work, they are just toys, I decided it was worth the risk.

Cheers
    Ockhams

32. fossxplorer
    October 25th, 2014 at 21:07 | #32

Exactly. Would indeed be nice to find something under $80-90 though.

33. fossxplorer
    October 25th, 2014 at 21:08 | #33

Thx a lot. How much did you pay for it?

@Manuel

34. fossxplorer
    October 25th, 2014 at 21:10 | #34

OMG, now buyincoins changed price to $72.59. These ppl really know how to adapt to demand!
    Too bad!

35. onebir
    October 26th, 2014 at 00:35 | #35

@fossxplorer
    Actually they *completely* changed the product – it was ATM7029B, now it’s some Spreadtrum processor (-ve: little known outside China, maybe unrootable? +ve: adds 3G.)

36. fossxplorer
    October 26th, 2014 at 04:15 | #36

@onebir, ah i see :) ~$50 for a table is an attractive price really ;)

37. onebir
    October 26th, 2014 at 12:08 | #37

I guess ~$70 for a 3g tablet phone isn’t bad either. (Even with a weird processor!)

38. Manuel
    October 29th, 2014 at 13:23 | #38

Quick first review:
    – Charging does not happen over the port that looks like micro usb (I suppose that is only OTG), but over a small barrel plug (delivered)
    – Battery is small, doing intensive things can suck the battery empty within less than half an hour (tried a game)
    – Battery has very little self-discharge. The tablet sits on my nighttable next to the bed for sleepless moments, and whenever I pick it up, it has enough battery to read some news etc.
    – The screen is not beautiful. Rather low resolution for 7″ (I certainly am spoiled by my google Nexus 7)
    – The touch screen does not work very well. I often need several attempts to succeed my unlock pattern. Going slower and trying to have a smaller finger contact surface usually helps. I do not know whether it is not sensitive enough, if it’s lacking spacial or temporal resolution.
    – Due to that, playing “Clash of Clans” is hardly possible. Some of the games user interfaces are too small, cannot be hit.
    – Normally square/perfectly round icons look squashed
    – On a positive note, it allowes to be switched on as soon as it is connected to the cable, if it was run empty entirely.

AnTuTu Benchmark Device Info:
    Brand: Android
    Model: 86H
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    CPU Model: Quad-Core ARMv7 Processor (VFPv4, NEON)
    Renderer: QC1000+MP core
    Resolution: 1024×600
    Have root access: Yes
    CPU Frequency: 252 – 1200 MHz
    GPU Vendor: Vivante Corp
    Density 160 dpi

Test, with Memory Optimizations: 18450
    Comparision Values:
    Google Nexus 7 2013: 17932
    Fairphone FP1: 16073
    Samsung Galaxy S3:

I hereby define AnTuTu useless for me :)

39. onebir