The Egg is a Tizen Based Portable Touchscreen Cloud Server (Crowdfunding)
If you like the convenience of cloud storage, but are wary of privacy implications, and/or are not satisfied by the file download/upload transfer rate, a new device called The Egg might be what you are looking for. It’s a tiny Wi-Fi enabled cloud storage server, powered by an Intel Atom processor and running Tizen, with up to 256 GB storage that you can carry in your pocket, with your data being fully private and always accessible, and there’s also a touchscreen display to let you watch and share your media files.
Egg technical specifications:
- SoC – Intel Atom Processor @ 2.0 GHz
- System Memory – 1GB RAM
- Storage – 64, 128, or 256GB eMMC
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi a/b/g/n (client / access point), Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – Micro USB 2.0 type-AB for charging and file transfer from phone, camera, computer…
- Display – 2.4” Multi-Touch capacitive touch TFT, 240×320 resolution, 262K colors
- Audio – Vibra motor (haptics + silent ringtones), Speaker notifications
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Compass, Ambient Light Sensor
- Battery – 4.35V, 910 mAh Li-Po battery for up to 12 hours of typical use on a charge.
You can also get a personal yournick.eggcyte.com personal domain to access your data from anywhere with an internet connection via a web browser, keeping your data private to a selected group of people (or yourself only), or making it available publicly. Details about how the software works are lacking, although we know the system runs Nginx, PHP, mysqld, etc… You can still watch some of the use cases shown in the promo video.
The project has now been launched on Kickstarter, with the company looking to raise over $500,000. Perks start at $199 for the 64GB Egg including your own domain name, and up to $399 for the 256GB version. Shipping is free to the US, but an hard-to-swallow $65 fee is asked to ship the package to the rest of the world, and delivery is scheduled for July 2015. Beside the Kickstarter campaign, more details may be available on eggcyte.com.