Home > Android, Hardware, Intel Atom, Video, Windows 8 > MeegoPad T01 Android 4.4 & Windows 8.1 Mini PC Sells For as Low as $100

MeegoPad T01 Android 4.4 & Windows 8.1 Mini PC Sells For as Low as $100

November 25th, 2014 Leave a comment Go to comments

MeegoPad T01, also known as APM-D01, is a low cost Android 4.4 and/or Windows 8.1 HDMI TV dongle powered by Intel Bay-Trail-T Z3735F or G with 1 to 2GB RAM, and 16 to 32GB eMMC. It has become quite popular (for a Chinese product from an unknown board), and one seller managed to sell nearly 400 pieces of the 2GB RAM/16GB eMMC version on Aliexpress for about $130 shipped. But this morning, I discovered this Windows 8.1 HDMI TV stick was listed on DealExtreme for just $93.50 $99.99 including shipping, and if you want the 32GB eMMC version, it would cost you $104.39 $109.99 also including shipping.

MeegoPad-T01

MeegoPad T01 specifications of the devices sold on DealExtreme:

• SoC – Intel Atom Z3735F  “Bay Trail” quad core processor @ 1.33 GHz (Bust freq: 1.83 GHz) with Intel HD graphics Gen 7 (2W TDP)
  • System Memory – 2 GB DDR3L-1333 (64-bit up to 10.6 GB/s)
  • Storage – 16 or 32 GB eMMC + micro SD slot up to 64GB
  • Video & Audio Output – HDMI 1.4
  • Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 (Realtek RTL8723BS)
  • USB – 2x micro USB ports, 1x USB 2.0 port
  • Misc – Power button
  • Power Supply – 5V/2A via micro USB port.
  • Dimensions – 11 x 3.9 x 1 cm
  • Weight – 50 grams

The stick is sold with a 100~220V power adapter  and its micro USB to USB cable (60 cm). However, looking at DX page, it’s not clear at all if it comes pre-loaded with Android 4.4, or Windows 8.1, and whether a license is included (probably not at that price?). DX points to meegopad.cn, but everything is in Chinese, and I could not find T01 model. My guess is none of the nearly 400 persons who order APM-D01 / Meego T01 have received their device yet, as there’s no independent review. However, the manufacturer as posted a three part overview of the dongle on Youku, and Deadhp11 re-uploaded them on YouTube. I’ve included the Android/Windows 8.1 dual boot video demo below, where everything is controlled with a smartphone app.

So that would mean both Android 4.4 and Windows 8.1 are pre-loaded in the device, but I wonder how this could be possible with the 16GB internal storage version. Finally, as said previously with other Intel Bay Trail devices, Ubuntu / Linux distributions may not be fully supported.

1. hoangdinh86
    November 25th, 2014 at 12:10 | #1

@cnx
    Do you know Chinese name of MeegoPad T01? I search Taobao, tmall but not found

2. 6Hzzz
    November 25th, 2014 at 12:42 | #2
  3. anonymous
    November 25th, 2014 at 12:56 | #3

shame on both its name and lack of usb 3.0

4. hoangdinh86
    November 25th, 2014 at 13:16 | #4

@6Hzzz
    Yeah. I found it in taobao. Thank

5. November 25th, 2014 at 16:54 | #5

I got confirmation on DX that it comes pre-loaded with Windows 8.1, and you can just switch to Android from the desktop.

They’ve already increased the price 🙁

6. Curmudgeon
    November 25th, 2014 at 22:51 | #6

I’m surprised that 16GB is enough for Windows 8.1 and Android images combined.

7. November 26th, 2014 at 20:28 | #7

I’ll have one of these sticks in my hand sometime around beginning to mid December.
    They are probably using WIMBoot in order to keep the size of the Windows install down.
    I plan on remastering a ubuntu livecd to boot/install with the 32-bit bootloader needed for baytrail processors.

8. November 27th, 2014 at 03:06 | #8

I added some more videos that Meegopad gave me permission to repost on youtube. This time they are in english!

9. bello.rock
    November 28th, 2014 at 16:17 | #9

Hi,
    on dx forum the’ve aswered a couple of questions.
    They specified that you have to pay for an activation code for Windows 8.1

following this thread I’ve just ordered the 32gb version, will report asap (in in UK)

10. m][sko
    November 28th, 2014 at 19:01 | #10

@bello.rock
    this is funny answer
    JonesDX:
    “if you want to use the legal copy yes”

11. December 18th, 2014 at 09:12 | #11

GearBest has a pre-sale for MeegoPad T01 (2GB / 32GB) for $96.18 with coupon GBCCN

12. Kris
    December 24th, 2014 at 16:05 | #12

I got today a confirmation mail from dealextreme that my MeegoPad T01 (2GB / 32GB) is shipped.

13. Garamond
    December 30th, 2014 at 07:13 | #13

I got the same confirmation.

14. bello.rock
    January 7th, 2015 at 17:02 | #14

So do I,
    they confirmed just shipped today.

15. Bill
    January 9th, 2015 at 02:47 | #15

I received my device yesterday. It came in a plain box and looks slightly different to the pictures online. My device is black and the only text on the surface is “Intel inside”. Likewise the package (nice white box) has no identification. The “manual” inside just calls it a Mini PC Dongle. So I assume I have a MeegoPad T01. If it looks like a rose and smells like a rose …

On power up it went into a Windows install operation that seems to have been based on an image file: c:\Factory\boot.wim – there is still a batch file referencing this on the desktop after installation. A wireless kb/mouse system worked fine for control. The device works really well – it really runs Windows 8.1. Wireless worked perfectly.

I installed Asphalt 8 – took up most of the free disk, but I was able to play fine.

The only problem I have experienced so far is that the TV I am using as a monitor sometimes fails to sync? – giving flicker in the video (no, this is not an old CRT TV). Power cycling the TV has fixed this both times it happened, so probably the fault of my TV.

On restart Windows asks for activation and the license key in use is not acceptable. As I had a Win 8.1 Pro license key, I upgraded to that and all seems legal now. The ‘disk’ has three partitions. Windows is in a 10GB partition. When I first started the device there was a bit less than 5GB free. After my upgrade this is down to 2.3GB free – I’m not sure if I can free up any more space – yet to experiment. In fact I was amazed that the upgrade worked. At the time I ran it I had Asphalt 8 installed and had less than 1GB of free space. It did take a long time (left overnight in the end). The other two partitions on the disk are 100MB EFI and 4.3GB Recovery. I don’t know where Android lives and haven’t yet seen it run. There is no boot menu – I don’t know how to get to a bios settings type of interface.

First impression – this is great – I’m just using it like a computer – performance is fine – display is clean and crisp. Next step is to find an SD card and install more software.

16. Bill
    January 10th, 2015 at 19:06 | #16

I’ve installed Visual Studio (2010), compiled and run some DX11 samples. Compute shader and tessellation samples ran smoothly. This is a real computer.

17. January 11th, 2015 at 00:54 | #17

I got my t01 two days ago. I’ve made some progress with remastering the ubuntu 14.04 livecd maybe next week I’ll be able to release a test iso that will be able to boot AND install the 32-bit efi through the standard ubiquity installer.

So far the t01 is a great little system!

18. Bill
    January 11th, 2015 at 15:20 | #18

Have you found any way of booting it off usb or dvd. I can’t find a way of setting bios boot order. I have made a recovery usb stick. It looks as though it is possible to make a backup image to a hard drive. I’d like to repartition the ‘disk’ to get back the space used for recover image (1/4 of the space), but I don’t want to do that until I know I can restore from media. So far I can’t do that.

19. Patrick
    January 12th, 2015 at 22:22 | #19

@Bill
    So you have to provide your own Win 8 license?? Or could you skip that and keep using it somehow?

Seems silly to me that they are essentially giving you a device with a ransom on it…

20. TK
    January 12th, 2015 at 22:44 | #20

Somebody found out something about RESTORE POWER AC after power loss? I’m having this device powered via USB from my TV and when I turn it off, the device shuts off as well (obviously). I would like that the device turns it self on after turning on the TV – going behind the TV and find this little power button can’t be the solution.

21. January 13th, 2015 at 09:47 | #21

@TK
    I don’t have such device, but my PC autostarts when I connect the power.
    This is how I set it up: http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/04/05/how-to-autostart-a-pc-automatically-when-connecting-it-to-the-mains-power/

Maybe there’s a similar option in MeegoPad T01 BIOS.

22. TK
    January 13th, 2015 at 16:26 | #22

Unfortunately there is not. Im shocked that there is no option for auto turn on after power loss or something like that in the BIOS! Because it works flawlessly with my TVs USB ports, but of course it shuts down when I turn off the TV. Then I thought: alright, no problem – put it on the normal charger and let it go to sleep after 20min and wake it up as soon I need it again. 2nd shock!!! Not possible to wake it up via USB (wired) keyboard or mouse. I tried everything. So you literaly need to get behind your TV, find this tiny little button and press it. I mean….seriously??? This product was made to be hidden behind TV’s…behind wall mounts where you never touch things again unless you move…! This needs some serious review…either a BIOS update or a different solution.

23. garamond
    January 16th, 2015 at 11:11 | #23

@deadhp1

Keep us posted on your success with Ubuntu….

24. February 17th, 2015 at 10:12 | #24

Something similar to MeegoPad T01: Artway Wintel A8 for $99.00 with 2GB RAM/32GB flash, and they claim it comes with “Windows 8.1 with Bing TV Box”, probably unlikely to be an activated version based on the price.

25. Stephen Clarke
    March 6th, 2015 at 00:42 | #25

TK :

TK :

A method has been found for auto power on http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?23577-GUIDE-Enable-MeeGoPad-Auto-Power-On&p=286777

26. Mark