Home > Espressif, Hardware > Espressif ESP32 WiFi & Bluetooth SoC is Now Up For Sale for $2.85

Espressif ESP32 WiFi & Bluetooth SoC is Now Up For Sale for $2.85

September 2nd, 2016 Leave a comment Go to comments

Espressif ESP32 is one of the most awaited chip for IoT applications as it combines a dual core processor, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and various I/Os. The good news is that you can now purchase ESP32 for 19 RMB ($2.85) on Taobao, or if you are not based in China, contact Espressif by email at sales [at] espressif.com.

ESP32Availability is however limited, and the maximum order is now 5 pieces. ESP32 modules and boards, as opposed to just the SoC, are not quite ready right now, but should become available in a few weeks. ESP-WROOM-32 is the ESP32 module developed by Espressif, and NodeMCU is also working on an ESP32 board, so we’ll get more good news very soon.

ESP32-Demo-Board

ESP32 Demo Board V2 with ESP-WROOM-32 Module

You can also find documentation, hardware and software resources on a Espressif ESP32 page , including a getting started guide, ESP32 SDK, ESP32 reference manual, ESP-WROOM-32 datasheet, and more.

If you are unsure whether your project would benefit from ESP32 over the cheaper ESP8266, I found an interesting table in Espressif Introduction document, showing how the processors are used in different applications.

ESP32_vs_ESP8266_ProjectsVia ESP32 Forums and RelentlesS

1. Sander
    September 2nd, 2016 at 12:43 | #1

(un)related question: are there devices that have two wifi modules? One for configuration, one for access the WLAN?

I know the trick with one wifi module: default SSID for configuration access, then it’s used for WLAN access, and a reset button to go back. But I find that difficult in use cases with normal users.

2. September 2nd, 2016 at 14:20 | #2

@Sander
    MIMO WiFi should handle the case for multiple connection, and a single module can be used simultaneously as access point and client. I don’t clearly understand why two WiFi modules are needed, or how they would make things easier to the end user.

3. Sander
    September 2nd, 2016 at 15:26 | #3

“a single module can be used simultaneously as access point and client. ” … really? Wow, I didn’t know that. Any links how to do that with the ESP8266?

4. Deets
    September 2nd, 2016 at 15:46 | #4

This is the sample price. I expect it to be cheaper once it really hits the streets.

5. September 2nd, 2016 at 16:34 | #5

@Sander
    I first noticed the option during my tests for RTL8710 -> http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/18/getting-started-with-bt-rtl-00-rtl8710-module-serial-console-at-commands-and-esp8266-pin-to-pin-compatibility/ . I had not tried it though, and I can’t find the command anymore…

For ESP8266, check the instructions for “AP+STA Mode” @ https://smartarduino.gitbooks.io/development-of-nodemcu/content/subsection_42_wifi_mode.html

6. Sander
    September 2nd, 2016 at 22:04 | #6

Wow: “Ready to start soft ap AND station” … I didn’t kwow that that was possible at all in Wifi technology. Fascinating: so one Wifi chip can switch between modes, or can have two modes?
    And a solution for my need. Cool.

7. September 3rd, 2016 at 00:10 | #7

sed -e ‘s/over the cheaper ESP8622/over the cheaper ESP8266/g’

8. September 3rd, 2016 at 05:51 | #8

I have also developed the 1st OpenSource ESP32 breakout board for HydraBus (can be used also with an Arduino …)
    or more details see http://hydrabus.com/2016/08/10/hydrabus-v1-0-shield-breakout-board-for-esp-wroom-32-esp32/

9. noone
    September 3rd, 2016 at 08:24 | #9

Are there any wireless MCUs on the market with open source TCP/IP stacks?

Failing that, are there any where it’s possible to implement your own IP stick with minimal, preferably no, vendor firmware needed?

10. Deets
    September 3rd, 2016 at 10:24 | #10

@noone
    Yes the esp8266 and esp32 use lwip which is open source. You still need the vendor low level radio drivers. This is pretty common.

11. eezata
    September 3rd, 2016 at 23:05 | #11

the sample price is 2.5usd. in china, they have to add 17% VAT. but they do not need to pay VAT when they export.

12. cbm80
    September 10th, 2016 at 12:52 | #12

@Sander
    When you install ESP8266 in Arduino env you even have ready examples. And it was possible 1.5y ego with LUA too. Nothing new.

1. No trackbacks yet.