BeagleBone Black Wireless Board Gets WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 LE, Drops Ethernet
The BeagleBone Black is still one of the most popular development boards around, but in a world going more and more wireless, it only comes with a wired Ethernet interface. Seeed Studio BeagleBone Green Wireless and Neuromeka BeagleBone Air already provided BeagleBone compatible boards with WiFi and Bluetooth LE, as well as Zigbee for the latter, but now BeagleBoard.org themselves have launched BeagleBone Black Wireless with WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 LE based on Octavo Systems OSD3358 System-in-Package with Texas Instrument Sitara AM3358 processor, 512 MB RAM, TI LDO and PMIC, and many passive components.
BeagleBone Black Wireless specifications:
- SoC – Texas Instruments Sitara AM3358 Cortex A8 @ 1 GHz with PowerVR SGX530 GPU
- System Memory – 512 MB DDR3L
- Storage – 4GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot
- USB – 1x mini USB client port for power & communication, 1x USB host port
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n WiFi + Bluetooth 4.1 LE with 2x u.FL antenna connectors
- Video & Audio Output – micro HDMI up to 1280×1024 resolution.
- Expansion Connectors – 2x 46-pin headers
- Misc – LEDs for WiFi, Bluetooth, Power, and 4x user LEDs; Reset, boot, and power buttons
- Debugging – JTAG header, serial console
- Power – mini USB, DC Jack, or 5VDC via expansion header
- Dimensions – 86.4 x 53.4 mm
The board is preloaded with Debian with Cloud9 IDE on Node.js with BoneScript.js library, and also support other Android and Linux based operating systems support by other BeagleBone boards. Cadsoft Eagle schematics and PCB layout have already been released on github. BeagleBone Black Wireless drops the Ethernet port just like BeagleBone Green Wireless, but keeps the micro HDMI port, which on Seeed Studio’s port is replaced by 4x USB ports and Grove connectors.