Raspberry Pi Zero W Adds WiFi & Bluetooth, Sells for $10
The first Raspberry Pi was launched 5 years ago on February 29, 2012, and the Raspberry Pi foundation has made an habit of announcing new products on the anniversary of the board. This year is no exception, as the foundation has just announced Raspberry Pi Zero W, based on the popular Raspberry Pi Zero, but potentially much more useful, as they added a WiFi and Bluetooth LE module to the board.
Raspberry Pi Zero W specifications:
- SoC – Broadcom BCM2835 ARM11 processor @ 1GHz with VideoCore IV GPU
- System Memory – 512MB RAM
- Storage – microSD slot
- Video Output – mini HDMI port and composite video (via 2 unpopulated pins)
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 (same Cypress CYW43438 wireless chip as Raspberry Pi 3 Model B)
- USB – 1x micro USB OTG port, 1x micro USB port for power only
- Camera – 1x CSI camera connector
- Expansion – Unpopulated 40-pin HAT-compatible header
- Power Supply – 5V via micro USB port
- Dimensions – 65mm x 30mm x 5mm
You’ll get the same operating support as Raspberry Pi Zero, and other Raspberry Pi boards with distributions such as Rasbian.
- One with an aperture and mounting point for a camera
- One with an aperture to let you access the GPIOs
- A blank one
You can purchased Raspberry Pi Zero W (Wireless) for $10 via one of the global distributors (Pimoroni, Adafruit, The Pit Hut, and Canakit), as well as some local distributors. Many are selling starter kits instead of the board only.
Thanks to hmartin for the tip.