Veracruz, Mexico based Verse Technology has recently launched Goblin 2, an Arduino compatible IoT development, based on Atmel/Microchip ATmega328P MCU, featuring a built-in SIM5320A 3G and GPS module, supporting RS-485 communication, and providing 3.3/5 and 24V power output.
- MCU – Microchip Atmel ATMega328P AVR MCU @ 16 MHz with 1KB EEPROM, 32kB Flash, 2kB SRAM
- Wireless connectivity via Simcom SIM5320A USB 2.0 module:
- Dual-Band UMTS/HSDPA 900/2100MHz
- Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- 1x SIM card slot
- High accuracy 16 channel GPS
- Expansion I/Os
- 6x ADC input with 10 bits resolution
- 10x digital in/out including 5 PWM
- RS-485 protocol @ 10Mbps for up to 256 nodes on the bus
- Header to Keypad, microphone and speaker for SIM I/O
- Misc – 8 LEDs for power, battery, networking, RS485, UART, plus one user LED; Power switch, RS-485 /GPIO switch, program / SIM AT+ switch
- Power Supply – 5V via micro USB port, solar panel up to 5V/200mA, 3.7V battery charger
- Power Output- 5V @ 3A , 3.3V @ 300 mA and 24 V @ 500 mA
- Dimensions – 65.5mm x 82.2mm
The board can programmed like any other Arduino compatible with the Arduino IDE uploading the code via the micro USB port, or if you want more control over the board using Atmel Studio.
Documentation can be found on Verse Technology website’s Docs page, and examples can be found directly on Github.
Goblin 2 is now for sale for $134 + shipping on the company’s website, and you may want to visit Goblin 2 product page for further details. In case, you are mostly interested in SIM5320 module’s features for your project, Adafruit sells a $80 FONA 3G breakout board to interface with your own board, and provides good documentation. Alternatively, you’ll also find SIM5320 modules (~$30) and breakout boards (~$50) on Aliexpress. The module has been around for several years, so it should be pretty easy to integrate into your own project. Note the last letter in the product name is for the continent, namely A is for America, E for Europe & Asia Pacific, and J for Japan.