Nikon announced the first Android camera to hit the market. The Coolpix S800c is a 16 MP Wi-Fi camera powered by an unnamed ARM Cortex A9 processor with 512 MB RAM running Android 2.3.3 that will sell for $349.
The S800c is basically a smartphone without the voice network capabilities, but with a proper camera capable of shooting clear pictures and videos, and a 10x optical zoom. Nikon also included a GPS to add localization info to pictures.
- Android 2.3 and Wi-Fi
- Simple setup and connection
- Browse and post to social networking sites (SNS) such as Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
- Support for Google Play and built-in Google apps
- Simple image transfer to other smart devices via “Upload to Smart Device” app.
- Better shooting performance and images quality and definition (compared to a smartphone).
- 10x optical zoom, NIKKOR lens and built-in lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function.
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor ideal to shoot night landscapes and pictures taken indoors under dim lighting.
- 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies recodring with stereo sound
- my Picturetown app – A cloud storage app by Nikon to store and share pictures and videos on mypicturetown.com. The app is available on Google Play, but the description and app is only in Japanese…
- GPS function (A-GPS compatible)
The GPS module incorporated into the camera can be used to record positioning data (latitude and longitude), and when the “my Picturetown” app is used, the place where these photos and movies were recorded can be displayed on Google Maps.
- 3.5″ OLED touch panel display.
The camera also features 4GB internal Flash (My guess as 680 MB is reserved for apps and 1.7 GB for storage) a SD/SDHC memory card slot, an Hi-Speed USB port, and it is powered by a Li-ion Battery.
You can watch the video promo below which will show you that the Coolpix S800c camera is so much better than your smartphone when it comes to taking pictures, that it will really impress your girl and your friends, and that you will end up becoming some sort of social media celebrity thanks to the great pictures you will take and share…
You may find further information on Nikon Coolpix S800c page.