Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Octa-core Smartphones Support Two Wireless Charging Protocols and UFS 2.0 Flash
Samsung Electronics announced Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones at Mobile World Congress 2015 during their “Unpacked” event. Both features Exynos 7420 octa-core SoC with 64-bit ARM cores, and 5.1″ display, bit the Galaxy S6 Edge display is curved on both sides.
Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge specifications:
- SoC – Samsung Exynos 7 Octa (Exynos 7420) octa core processor with four Cortex A57 core @ 2.1GHz + four Cortex A53 cores @ 1.5Ghz, and Mali-T760 MP8 GPU, manufactured using 14nm process.
- System Memory – 3GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 32, 64 or 128GB UFS 2.0 flash.
- Galaxy S6 – 5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) 577ppi, Super AMOLED. Gorilla Glass 4.
- Galaxy S6 Edge – 5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) 577ppi, Super AMOLED, Dual edge. Gorilla Glass 4.
- 16MP OIS(rear), 5MP (front).
- Features: Quick Launch (0.7s by pressing the home button twice), Tracking AF, Auto Real-time HDR(Front & Rear) , F1.9, Low Light Video(Front & Rear), High Clear Zoom, IR Detect White Balance, Virtual Shot, Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Pro Mode, Selective Focus
- Video – MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM, VP9 (up to 1440p)
- Codec – MP3, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, OPUS
- Format – MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA
- Network – LTE Cat.6 (300/50Mbps)
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), HT80 MIMO(2×2) 620Mbps, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Mobile hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP, LE, apt-X, ANT+
- USB – 1x micro USB 2.0 OTG
- Sensor – Accelerometer, Light, Gyroscope, Proximity, Compass, Barometer, Fingerprint, Hall, HRM
- Misc – IR Remote
- Battery – S6: 2,550mAh; S6 Edge: 2,600mAh. Faster wired charging: 1.5 times faster than the Galaxy S5, providing about 4 hours of usage after only 10 minutes of charging.
- Wireless Charging – WPC 1.1 (4.6W Output – Qi) & PMA 1.0 (4.2W) compatible
- Dimensions & Weight
- Galaxy S6 – 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8mm | 138 grams
- Galaxy S6 Edge – 142.1 x 70.1 x 7.0mm | 132g
The phones run Android 5.0 Lollipop, and include usual Samsung features like Ultra Power Saving Mode, Download Booster, S Health 4.0,S Finder, S Voice, as well as Microsoft Apps (OneDrive 115GB for 2 years, OneNote), and support for the new Samsung Pay. Google Mobiles Services are also enabled, and the PlayStore, Chrome, YouTube, Google+ are all pre-installed.
Key innovation for the phones are support for two wireless charging standards (Qi and PMA), the first 14-nm 64-bit ARM processor, Samsung Pay, UFS 2.0 storage providing up to 3 times better performance from a user’s perspective than previous generation eMMC flash. Exynos 7420 is also one of the few processor with a video processing unit supporting VP9 codec (up to 1440p). Galaxy S6 (SM-G925W8) has already been benchmarked in Antutu 5, and it achieved 60978 points.
Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge smartphones will be available globally starting from April 10, 2015 with 32/64/128GB storage options. Several tech blogs already checkout of the devices such as The Verge, Arstechnica, Gizmodo among others.