Pebble, an E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android smartphones, is a new project on KickStarter with over 11,000 backers and over 1.5 millions US dollars raised for production. The Pebble Watch connects to iPhone and Android smartphones using Bluetooth, and can alert you with a silent vibration to incoming calls, emails and messages.
The Pebble watch has the following specifications:
- ARM Cortex-M3 MCU
- 144 x 168 pixel display black and white e-paper
- Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR
- 4 buttons
- Vibrating motor
- 3 axis accelerometer with gesture detection
The developers also claim a 7-day use on a single battery charge.
Pebble can be customized with Apps with will take advantage of the BT connection with smartphones and allow pretty nice applications such as:
- Bike Computer – Cyclists to use Pebble to display speed, distance and pace data by accessing the smartphone’s GPS .
- Running Watch – Joggers and runners can also use the watch to display speed, distrance… data on their wrist.
- Smartphone Remote Control – Pebble can control the music control app to play, pause or skip tracks on your phone with the touch of a button.
You can also customize the look and feel of your watch thanks to different watchfaces as shown in the picture above.
If you wish, you can receive the following notifications on the Pebble as long as it is paired to a smartphone via BlueTooth:
- Incoming Caller ID
- Email (Gmail or any IMAP email account)
- Calendar Alerts
- Facebook Messages
- Weather Alerts
- Silent vibrating alarm and timer
Android smartphone owners can also receive SMS on their watch, a feature not available on iPhones (Take that, Apple fanboys! 🙂 ) due to API limitation.
Have a look at the Pebble introduction video below and see it in action.
The Pebble’s developers will release a Pebble SDK so that other developer can build applications and upload them to Pebble app store. Pebble’s app development SDK will be completely free and based on a GCC toolchain.
The Pebble watch was available for 99 USD for the first 200 backers (sorry, too late!), and it is now available for 115 USD for a Jet Black Pebble Watch for free shipping in the US ($10 for Canada and $15 for other international destinations). Following the project success on Kick starter, the watch will now be waterproof and you’ll be able to shower and swimming with it, but not diving.
You can get more information (and possibly buy one or more) on Pebble Kickstarter page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|