Qualcomm has announced the Snapdragon SDK for Android at the Uplinq 2012 developers conference, and a preview release of the SDK is now available on Qualcomm’s developer site. The full SDK will be available to device manufacturers and developers in the coming months.
The Snapdragon SDK for Android enables developers to features of Snapdragon processors via Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) not otherwise available in the stock Android SDK including:
- Snapdragon Audio SDK (new)
- Snapdragon Camera SDK (new)
- Snapdragon Sensors SDK (new)
- Adreno GPU sample code for OpenGL ES
- FastCV SDK – Mobile-optimized Computer Vision (CV) library
Supposedly, there is also IZat Location SDK, but it did not show up in the list when I tried it.
At first, the SDK will only support devices build around Snapdragon S4 8960 processor, but the company expects to support future Snapdragon processors over time. The Snapdragon SDK for Android allows developers to take advantage of Snapdragon hardware capabilities while still retaining compatibility with other Android devices.
The preview release of the SDK includes support for the following:
- Facial processing. You can detect things like people faces using blink and smile detection in order to take better picture for instance. (Camera SDK)
- Burst capture. Leverages zero shutter lag to photograph a stream of images at once. (Camera SDK)
- Surround sound recording for better audio capture. (Audio SDK)
- Hardware echo cancellation for better real-time audio experiences. (Audio SDK)
- Vocoder Support – Call latency reduction via industry standard voice codecs. (Audio SDK)
- Sensor gestures (tap-left/tap-right, push/pull, face-up/face-down, tilt) that enable new user interfaces. (Sensor SDK)
- low power always on geofencing capabilities. (IZat SDK)
- Indoor location that enables apps to continue providing accurate location information even when the user is indoors. (IZat SDK)
If you want to give it a try, you can download and install Smapdragon preview SDK for Android in Eclipse.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|