The newly introduced Samsung Galaxy Gear and Sony SmartWatch all work as a smartphone companion, and have limited use if you don’t carry your smartphone with you. The Samsung watch also requires a recent smartphone running Android 4.3 and supporting Bluetooth Low Energy, which current seriously reduces the list of compatible smartphones. There are already standalone smartwatches in the market that include a SIM card slot, and allow you to make phone calls without a phone such as Z1 watch and WiMe NanoWatch. However, these watches feature low-end hardware with ARM9 processor, so the interface may feel a bit sluggish. ZGPAX S5 smartwatch with its Mediatek MT6577 dual core Cortex A9 processor, and 512 MB RAM, will be much more snappier. It runs Android 4.04 with Google Play Store, and comes with features such as a camera, GPS, as well as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
SGPAX S5 Specifications:
- SoC – Mediatek MT6577 dual core Cortex A9 @ 1.0GHz + PowerVR SGX531 GPU
- System Memory – 512MB RAM
- Storage – 4GB NAND flash + microSD card slot (Up to 32 GB)
- Display – 1.54” OGS (One-Glass Solution) capacitive touchscreen. Resolution: 240×240
- Network – GSM, GPRS, EDGE, HSPA+. GSM 850/900/1800/1900. SIM card slot.
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, and GPS (A-GPS, GLONASS support)
- Camera – 2.0MP camera
- USB – microUSB host port
- Audio – Headphone via microUSB, FM radio
- Sensors – Gravity sensor, light sensor, and distance sensor
- Battery – 500 mAh Lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions – 55x40x14mm
The watch comes with a battery, a USB cable, earphones, a charge, and a user’s manual. The 500mAh battery is said to be good for 2 days in standby mode, 6 hours talk, and in typical use, the battery is expect to last about one and a half day, which is expected for a relatively powerful device running Android, but annoying for a watch. Nevertheless this smartwatch does have potential, and the interface is snappy, as you can see from the video below from armdevices.net.
As mentioned in the video above, ZGPAX S5 costs $95 when bought in quantities from the manufacturer (Sample price is currently $165), but you can also buy from online resellers on Aliexpess ($165 and more), Ebay ($185 and more), or Chinavision ($150).
Thanks to onebir for the tip.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|