Allwinner Technology has just introduced its new octa-core H8 System on Chip (SoC) for “high-end” gaming consoles and video OTT (over-the-top) boxes, right before the Hong Kong Electronics Fair taking place on October 13-16. The processor feature eight Cortex A7 cores clocked at up to 2.0 GHz, coupled with Imagination Technology PowerVR SGX544 GPU @ 700 MHz with support for OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1, OpenCL 1.1 APIs.
- Multi-format [email protected] video processing including H.265/HEVC codec.
- HDMI video output up to [email protected], with HDCP 2.0 support; support HDMI CEC
- Integrated 8M image signal processor
- USB – USB Host, and USB dual-role interfaces
- Gigabit Ethernet MAC
- Three SD/MMC controllers
- SmartColor technology to deliver higher image quality and better visual effects
- Manufactured with 28nm HPC (High-Performance Compact) process by TSMC.
We don’t have the full details, but it does look very similar to Allwinner A83T announced last month, but except of focusing on tablets, H8 focuses on Android TV boxes and game consoles. Interestingly, they’ve chosen not to include 4K UHD support in their SoC.
OTT boxes powered by Allwinner H8 are scheduled to hit the market in Q4 2014. That schedule might be a little optimistic, since H8 devices are still nowhere to be seen on Alibaba, or anywhere else on the web for that matter.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|