Allwinner already announced H64 octa-core Cortex A53 processor for OTT boxes together with Nobel64 development board in the last quarter of last year, and the Chinese silicon manufacturer has now introduced Allwinner A64 quad core Cortex A53 processor for entry-level tablets, as the processor will only cost $5 per unit in large quantities.
Key features listed for Allwinner A64:
- 64-bit Cortex-A53 architecture
- Supports H.265/H.264 video decoding in hardware, and supports HDMI 4K display
- Supports various DDR memory types, making the BOM cost more competitive
- Supports eMMC 5.0 for better IO performance and enhanced data throughput capacity
- Allwinner SmartColor display technology for more vivid and eye-pleasing visual experience
- Supports Trusted Firmware security architecture from ARM
The company is finally moving to a device tree enabled kernel with Linux 3.10, and Allwinner 64-bit ARM tablets will also run Android 5.0 Lollipop. Hopefully, this processor implements proper H.265 hardware decoding, not GPU accelerated decoding as in Allwinner A80 processor. Interestingly neither Allwinner A64, nor Rockchip RK3368 announced recently, support VP9, despite it being the codec of choice for YouTube 2160p content.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|