Xiaomi has decided to enter the sports camera market with an inexpensive 1080p action camera called Xiaomi Yi that will sell for 399 CNY ($64) in China, and outspecs the $135 entry-level Go Pro Hero camera.
- SoC – Ambarella A7LS ARM1136 SoC
- System Memory – N/A
- Storage – Some internal storage for firmware, plus a micro SD slot for pictures/videos (up to 64GB)
- 16MP Sony Exmor R BSI Back-illuminated CMOS Image Sensor
- Aspheric HD Optical Glass Lens / F2.8 Large Aperture 155° Ultra Wide Angle
- 1080p 60/48/30/24fps, up to 960p60, 720p120, 480p240 video recording
- Multiple photo shooting modes: Single shot, Self-Timer, Time-lapse, Burst Shot
- Display – None
- Video Output – micro HDMI port
- Audio – Dual-channel 96 KHz sampling rate, 92 dBa SNR
- Connectivity – WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0 (Broadcom) for connection with Android / iOS devices
- Sensors – ST High Performance 3-Axis G-sensor
- USB – micro USB port for charging
- Misc – Power button, power indicator (Blue/Purple/Red)
- Battery – 1100mAh LiPo battery (Panasonic) with TI charger IC
- IP Rating – Unspecified, but is said to be water-resistant up to 40 meters under water with an additional waterproof housing
- Dimensions – 60.4 x 42 x 21.2 mm
- Weight – 72 grams
Based on Ambarella SoC product brief, the company provides an SDK for eCos µITRON real-time operating system, but A7LS can also run Linux simultaneously with the RTOS.
Two versions of the camera are available: the basic version with the camera, battery, and a USB cable, and the travel version that adds a monopod / selfie stick and costs 499 CNY ($80). The camera also supports 1/4″-20 tripods and other mounts accessories such as an helmet mount, and a cat harness.
I could not find availability information, but the camera is already up for pre-order in white or green starting at $85 on several Chinese e-retailers like GeekBuying, XiaomiShop (probably unrelated to Xiaomi), or ibuygou. Bear in mind that although they accept pre-orders, they still have no clear idea when the product will actually ship. More information, including video samples at different resolutions and frame rates, can be found on Xiaomi Yi Camera page (Chinese).