Mediatek has unveiled MT8581 processor for UHD Blu-ray players at CES 2016, with support the latest 10-bit H.265 and VP9, as well as High Dynamic Range (HDR) for better video quality.
The press release provides limited info, but I found a temporary? page with more details (screenshot), and MT8581 specifications should be as follows:
- CPU – Quad core ARM Cortex A53 processor
- GPU – N/A, but could be ARM Mali-820MP2 according to AndroidPC.es
- Optical Disks support – Blu-ray, DVD and CD playback, including the latest BD-ROM format, such as BD-Live and BonusView. When combined with MT8577A
- Video Codecs – HEVC/H.265 10-bit, H.264 and VP9 Profile 2, Ultra HD 60p video decoder (3840×2160), MPEG-1/2/4, VP8 and VC-1 for Full HD 60p. Encode: H.265 and H.264.
- High Dynamic Range – HDR10 open standard and Dolby Vision IP
- Audio – AAC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS HD
- Network Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
MT8581/MTK8581 will also support DVD upscaling up to 4K resolution, and 4K downscaling to for Full HD and HD ready screens.
The processor’s mass production is scheduled for H2 2016.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.