Once I asked MeLE if they planned to sells Bay Trail Ubuntu mini PCs, and they did not really seem interested, but the company has now changes their mind, as they are about to launch PCG02U TV stick powered by Intel Atom Z3735F processor with 1GB RAM, and 32GB flash for $59, which is likely to be the factory price, not the retail price.
MeLE PCG02U specifications:
- SoC – Intel Atom Z3735F “Bay Trail” quad core processor @ 1.33 GHz (Bust freq: 1.83 GHz) with Intel HD graphics Gen 7 (2W TDP)
- System Memory – 1 GB DDR3
- Storage – 32 GB eMMC + micro SD slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 with external antenna
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port, 1x micro USB port (for power only)
- Misc – Power button, Kensington lock
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via micro USB port.
- Dimensions – N/A
These specifications are very similar to MeLE PCG02 TV stick running Windows 10, except the memory has been decrease to 1GB, and the case is now Ubuntu Orange. A version with 2GB RAM will also be available for $69. Charbax got a short demo with the stick at MeLE office.
Some other manufacturer such as MeegoPad also provided Ubuntu TV sticks, but they simply loaded images made by Linuxium, and not even the latest one. We’ll have to see what MeLE provides, and the retail price. For reference, Ubuntu PCG02 with 2GB RAM now sells for $98.60 including shipping and a Windows 10 license, so I’d expect the Ubuntu version to be slightly cheaper since it does not include the Windows 10 “mini PCs” license, and the version with 1GB RAM to be even cheaper.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|