A few months ago I wrote about sub $200 ARM Cortex A72 Android smartphones, but Xiaomi is now further lowering the price point with their Redmi Note 4 powered by Mediatek Helio X20 processor with 16GB storage, a 5.5″ display, a 13MP camera, and a large 4,100 mAh battery selling for just 899 RMB (~$135).
- SoC – Mediatek Helio X20 (MT6797) deca-core processor with 2x Cortex A72 cores @ 2.1 GHz, 4x Cortex A53 cores @ 2.0 GHz, and 4x Cortex A53 cores @ 1.4 GHz and ARM Mali-T880MP4 GPU @ 700 Mhz
- System Memory – 2 or 3 GB RAM
- Storage – 16 GB or 64 GB storage + micro SD slot up to 128 GB (shared with dual SIM slot)
- Display – 5.5″ capacitive touchscreen, 1920×1080 resolution; 2.5D curved glass
- Cellular Connectivity – 4G+ / 4G / 3G / 2G ; dual SIM slot for Nano and micro SIM cards
- Connectivity – 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS/A-GPS
- Camera – 13MP rear camera with phase-detection autofocus, 5MP front camera
- USB – 1x micro USB OTG port
- Audio – Speaker, microphone, and 3.5mm audio jack
- Sensors – Accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, hall sensor, fingerprint sensor
- Battery – 4,100 mAh battery
- Dimensions – 151 x 76 x 8.35 mm
- Weight – 175 grams
The phone will run Android (MIUI 8.0), and ship with a charger and USB data cable, a pin, warranty cards, and a quick start guide. For some reasons, the CPU and GPU frequencies are lower than the one advertised on other model, but I don’t know if it is because of honesty, or a desire to reduce power consumption.
As you’ve must have noticed from the specifications there’s also a 3GB/64GB model, and it’s selling for 1199 RMB (~$180). The phone is only available in China for now, but it will soon sell online worldwide like the other models. More details can be found on Redmi Note 4 page (in Chinese).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|