Rockchip RK3229 is a quad core Cortex A7 for entry-level 4K TV boxes, and usually found in the cheapest TV boxes with factory price (MOQ) starting at around $18, and the bare minimum of 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of storage. Sometimes, it’s also found in higher quality models, for example Zidoo X1 II, and some models have more memory and/storage such as R-Box 4K.
So I was a little surprised when I saw H2-RK3229 TV box with comes with 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, and a SATA bay for 2.5″ drives, that’s sold for around $61 shipped on Aliexpress.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3229 quad core ARM Cortex A7 processor @ 1.5 GHz with ARM Mali-400MP2
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3 RAM
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash. 2.5″ SATA bay, micro SD slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @ 60 fps & AV port (composite video + stereo audio)
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver, power LED, front panel LCD display
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 17.5 x 11.8 x 3.6 cm
The device runs Android 6.0, and is said to come with 1-year of free IPTV worth $75. I would not count on the latter however, as many not-so-legal IPTV services have been busted by authorities recently.
Rockchip RK3229 does not come with SATA, USB 3.0, nor PCIe interface, so the SATA bay will have been implemented through a USB 2.0 to SATA bridge that could deliver up to around 40 MB/s, if they’ve not messed up. It’s worth noting the SoC comes with three separate USB 2.0 port so bandwidth is not shared.
If you planed to replace Android by Linux to convert it into a simple server, it might be tricky, as there does not seem to be much activity for Linux on RK3229, no development board, and the processor is not even listed on Rockchip open source website.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|