It’s hard to keep up with all the systems-on-module based on Arm Cortex-A “application class” processors, but so far I can’t remember seeing any Arm Cortex-M “microcontroller class” SoM.
However, SoMLabs is currently working on VisionSOM-RT, a system-on-module based on NXP i.MX RT 1050 Arm Cortex-M7 processor clocked at 600 MHz. NXP i.MX RT series processors are actually promoted as a “crossover” processor delivering application processor performance with real-time capabilities right at the edge between the two classes of processors.
- SoC- NXP i.MX RT Arm Cortex-M7 processor @ up to 600MHz with NXP PXP 2D graphics accelerator, and Graphics Engine PXP PiXel processing pipeline for imagine resize, rotation, overlay and color space conversion.
- Memory – 512kB on-chip RAM memory, up to 32MB SDRAM
- Storage – Up to 16MB QuadSPI flash, optional 4GB eMMC flash
- 200-pin SO-DIMM edge connector with
- Display Interface – 8/16/24-bit Parallel RGB up to 1366 x 768 (WXGA)
- Networking – 10/100Mbit/s Ethernet (PHY required on based board)
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 OTG
- Low speed I/Os – Up to 4x I2C, up to 4x SPI, up to 2x FlexCAN, up to 8x UART
- Analog – 2x 12-bit ADC modules (up to 16 input channels)
- Audio interfaces – 3x I2S/SAI, S/PDIF Tx/Rx
- Advanced Security – High Assurance Boot (HAB), True random number generation (TRNG)
- Data Co-Processor (DCP) – AES-128, ECB, CBC mode, SHA-1, SHA-256, CRC-32
- Bus Encryption Engine (BEE) – AES-128, ECB, CTR mode, On-the-fly QSPI Flash decryption
- Misc – Built-in RTC
- Power Supply – 5V DC
- Dimensions – 67 x 32 x 4 mm
- Temperature Range – Industrial: –40 to +85°C
The module will support FreeRTOS real-time operating systems, and the company claims Altium Designer’s library file is available for all SoM variants (Schematics and PCB layout).
The module will be compatible with the company’s VisionCB-STD
carrier board exposing an Ethernet port, two USB 2.0 ports, Arduino headers, a 24-bit RGB LCD display connector, as well as a few buttons, a micro USB console port, and a 40-pin Raspberry Pi header. The Wiki has more details about the carrier board.
SoMLabs explains the SoM targets home and industrial control systems, wireless application, communication solutions and real-time systems.
VisionSOM-RT system-on-module is in the final stages of development, and should become available in September 2018. A few more details may be found on the product page.