Last year, Qualcomm unveiled the Snapdragon 710 processor aiming to bring faster A.I. processing to mid-range smartphone with double the AI performance compared to Snapdragon 660. The company has now introduced an upgrade to the processor with Snapdragon 712 that delivers better battery management, auto-adjust settings for pictures, and improved understanding of voice cues.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 712 mobile platform (SDM712) specifications with hightlights in bold showing differences against Snapdragon 710:
- CPU – 8x Qualcomm Kryo 360 CPU @ up to 2.3 GHz (in two clusters)
- GPU – Qualcomm Adreno 616 Visual Processing Subsystem supporting OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0, Vulkan, DirectX 12
- DSP – Qualcomm Hexagon 685 DSP with 3rd Gen Qualcomm Hexagon Vector Extensions (HVX), Qualcomm All-Ways Aware Sensor Hub
- Memory I/F – LPDDR4x, 2x 16-bit up to 1866MHz, 8GB RAM
- Storage I/F – No info provided
- Display – Up to Quad HD+
- Up to 4K Ultra HD Premium playback
- Up to 4K UltraHD capture @ 30 FPS
- Up to 1080p video capture @ 120 FPS
- H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), VP9, VP8
- Qualcomm Spectra 250 ISP supporting up to 32 MP single camera, up to 16 MP dual camera
- Zero Shutter Lag, Hybrid Autofocus, Motion Compensated Temporal Filtering
- Ultra HD 4K video capture at 30fps
- Accelerated Electronic Image Stabilization
- Audio – Qualcomm Aqstic & aptX audio technologies
- Cellular Connectivity – Qualcomm Snapdragon X15 LTE modem with peak download speed of 800 Mbps, peak upload speed of 150 Mbps
- Other Wireless Connectivity
- Integrated 2×2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO up to 867 Mbps
- Tri-band WiFi – 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz with Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) + 60 GHz
- Bluetooth 5 up to 2 Mbps
- GNSS – GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, SBAS
- Security – Qualcomm Processor Security, Qualcomm Fingerprint Sensors, Application Security, Hardware Token, Camera Security
- Charging – Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology for a 50% battery charge within 15 minutes.
- Manufacturing Process – 10nm LPP from Samsung
Snapdragon 710 was first announced with Hexagon 685 DSP, but Qualcomm now reports it’s using Hexagon 680 in the product page and brief, so I’m not sure there’s any difference here.
The main benefits of Snapdragon 712 appear to be a 10% increase in CPU performance against Snapdragon 710, as well as improvement in battery life. I’m not exactly sure why this part exists, but here’s a link to the product page if you want to find out more.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|