We previously wrote about Energous WattUp near, mid, and far-field wireless charging while covering SKIIN smart underwears that could be recharged using WattUp near-field wireless technology, but the technology inside can also support future on the desk (mid-field) or in the room (far-field) charging.
The company has now introduced the WattUp hearables developer kit that sadly still does not seem to support mid- and far-field charging yet but provides everything to manufacturers to get started with wireless charging for Bluetooth earbuds, smart headphones, and similar gadgets.
The kit offers all hardware and software resource to get started with developing wirelessly charged audio devices:
- Transmitter reference design with power supply, based on Dialog Semi DA14680 Bluetooth LE chip, DA4100 wireless power transmitter, as well as EN3921 and EN3913M front end ICs.
- Receiver reference design with DA2223 RF to DC receiver and DA14585 Bluetooth LE SoC
- Mobile app
- Reference design user guide
- Transmitter schematic and layout
- Receiver schematic and layout
- Software SDK
- Developer guide
- Antenna design guide
Energous Wattup near-field charging solution looks similar to other current wireless charging technologies, but according to the company, does offer some extra benefits which include:
- A common receiver that enables interoperability across WattUp-enabled devices
- A small footprint allows WattUp to be integrated into products of various form factors, including devices with curved edges or without flat surfaces
- Foreign object detection eliminates thermal issues with metal and other materials
- Full orientation freedom and 90-degree angle support
WattUp hearables developer kit is available now, but the documentation has not been made public, and it’s not something you can just buy online, and instead, you’d need to submit a request providing your contact details including your the company name.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|