As 5G penetration and coverage slowly, but surely increase, 5G connectivity is moving from high-end SoC’s to mid-range processors with the likes of HiSilicon Kirin 820, Qualcomm Snapdragon 690, or Samsung Exynos 880.
MediaTek already had Dimensity 800 & 820 SoC for the mid-tier market, but the company has now gone one step lower with Dimensity 720 5G SoC equipped with two Cortex-A76 cores clocked at up to 2.0 GHz, six Cortex A55 cores, a Mali G57MC3 GPU, and a 5G modem with 2.3Gbps peak (e.g. theoretical) download speed.
MediaTek Dimensity 720 specifications:
- Octa-core Processor – 2x Arm Cortex-A76 @ up to 2GHz, and 6x Arm Cortex-A55 @ up to 2GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali-G57 MC3
- AI Accelerator – MediaTek APU (but not details provided)
- System Memory – Up to 12GB LPDDR4x up to 2133MHz
- Storage – UFS 2.2
- Display – Up to 2520 x 1080 resolution with 90Hz max refresh rate
- ISP up to 20MP+16MP @ 30 fps dual camera, or 64MP @ 22 fps single camera
- Video Capture Resolution up to 3840 x 2160
- Features – HDR-ISP, Multi-Frame NR, 3D Noise Reduction, Depth Engine, Warping Engine, AI-FD
- Encoding – H.264, H.265 / HEVC up to 4Kp30
- Playback – H.264, H.265 / HEVC, VP9 up to 4Kp30
- HDR10+ Enhanced with “Local Tone Mapping”
- 5G FDD / TDD
- SA & NSA modes sub-6GHz networks; SA Option2, NSA Option 3/3a/3x
- NR TDD Band, NR FDD Band,
- DSS, NR DL 2CC, 100 MHz bandwidth, 256QAM NR UL 2CC, 256QAM VoNR / EPS fallback
- Peak Download Speed – 2.3Gbps
- 5G UltraSave
- 4G FDD / TDD with Carrier Aggregation (CA)
- 3G CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), TD-SCDMA, WCDMA
- 2G EDGE, GSM
- 5G FDD / TDD
- 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 with 1T1R or 2T2R antenna configuration
- Bluetooth 5.1
- GNSS – GPS, QZSS L1+ L5, Galileo E1 + E5a, BeiDou B1C + B2a, NAVIC
- Process – TSMC 7nm
The Dimensity 720 is said to be designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks in Asia, North America, and Europe, so mmWave is not supported. Further information may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|